Sigh......

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have...no, had... two matches this weekend, one at a local young offenders prison, one an excellent local club, doing their Under 15's. I was doing my pre match research into the U15's I found on their website a stinging attack on the referee in their previous match, it was simply offensive... and surprising coming from such a well respected local club.

I sighed loudly, and simply emailed my society and said under the circumstances I did not feel it appropriate to be involved with that team so would be unable to ref them this Sunday.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
why not wait for Society action first ? Could just be a maverick coach or parent who needs some 'education' ?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
so you don't think you could go there and change their view of referees? Like ST has suggested a bit of education?

Oh and maybe a word in the "webmaster" ear about what they put on their site :shrug:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You don't go the writer wins.

I hate losing!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Everyone sends their message in different ways, Blackberry has chosen to raise this subjects profile . The general "worsening" of this subject and the touchline behaviour towards officials is a trend that needs reversing, Much better this than someone having a quiet word which results in 'report sanitisation' that masks the underlying lack of respect from those directly involved. The club/society/coach/parents/managers are now all on notice. Ask most Soccer referees why they gave up, they will likely cite all these issues albeit magnified. Well done Blackberry - at least everyone knows where you stand.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The club gets a new referee, and a possible quiet word - so I'm nit sure what it accomplishes. A symbolic thing for BB perhaps.
What it gains that a quiet word plus him turning up doesn't I'm not too sure about.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
100% behind you Blackberry not many would be that brave.
As somebody said getting the reports redacted does not necessarily solve the problem

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I wouldn't criticise the decision - we referee these games because we love to facilitate our sport. But if the club treats it differently and has lost sight of the Corinthian ethos, then why should Blackberry put himself into the pit to be shot at in a public forum?

However, I do question whether the report writer will ever now become aware that a change in referee was necessary because of his actions. It's possible that the communications (if they take place) between Society and Club may work their way down to him, but this may well not have been a Society appointment so perhaps the Society may not give it the priority it would had it appointed to the game. Equally, a ref will turn up and the report writer will report as normal. Had it been me, I might have reffed the game, sought out the writer beforehand and advised him that if the report took anything like the tone of the previous week's, he'd be hearing from my solicitor with a view to seeing how much of his house I could appropriate.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
blackberry - did the society let you know what they think of that, and what they have done about the game, and the club ?

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
The Society has, as I knew they would, been professional and firm. They have made contact with (as I understand it) the Chairman of the County who has made contact with the Club. The Club, which has an excellent record of working with referees, has expressed horror at the report, it has been taken down immediately, and an apology will be sent to the ref and the society (it was an away game).

The Society has also suggested we take up the issue of coachs' behaviour and how we deal with it at a training session during one of our upcoming Society meetings.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
None of the teams I have yet encountered bothered match reports... but doing some research this evening I find that one of the teams I have this coming weekend has so far written a match report for every game -- so looks like I can expect my first 'review' next week.

Reading the last few reports I can see that so far this season they have been unlucky enough to experience quite a lot of 'dodgy' refereeing.
So much so they realise they must focus on curb the back chat, which 'doesn't help' and and playing to the ref and to whistle, however bad the decisions are.

the second bit sounds good!

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Wonderful result, chairmen have spoken with chairmen, and the author of the report (who I gather is their coach?) has written a full apology to the ref's society and to the ref which has also been circulated to us..... and I am reffing them on Sunday.
The club has emailed me confirmation details, the e mailer also asking if he has covered everything, as he's unsure, he's deputising for the coach who is not here this week, but I have no idea of the events are connected.

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The Society has, as I knew they would, been professional and firm. They have made contact with (as I understand it) the Chairman of the County who has made contact with the Club. The Club, which has an excellent record of working with referees, has expressed horror at the report, it has been taken down immediately, and an apology will be sent to the ref and the society (it was an away game).

The Society has also suggested we take up the issue of coachs' behaviour and how we deal with it at a training session during one of our upcoming Society meetings.

Excellent outcome - how it should be done and knowing your management well (as fellow Southern Federation members) I am not suprised.
Discussion, firm exchange of the facts, with the right people will get the right result. Maverick coaches do exist and will post stuff occasionally, they just need education as I said above.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Had the match today, I was slightly jaded having done a Level 8 match the day before. The home team won, but there were a few too many whinges in the first half, some from the coaching team. Second half was much better, and I spoke briefly with the main coach at the end and mentioned that the players took their mood from the coaches.

To my surprise I later go a very positive email from the coaching team thanking me and taking on board my comments (am I allowed to copy it?)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Had the match today, I was slightly jaded having done a Level 8 match the day before. The home team won, but there were a few too many whinges in the first half, some from the coaching team. Second half was much better, and I spoke briefly with the main coach at the end and mentioned that the players took their mood from the coaches.

To my surprise I later go a very positive email from the coaching team thanking me and taking on board my comments (am I allowed to copy it?)

I would suggest that you keep the coaching staff communication to yourself and keep building the relationship.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would suggest that you keep the coaching staff communication to yourself and keep building the relationship.
And I would agree - nice though it would be to see an example of such thinking.