silence before game

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Hi

Has Anyone any protocols for a silence before a game after call last from my Saturday Match contact they advised they wish to have a silence for a player who has passed away looking at fixtures another match also but mine maybe main one.
If so all advise wecome.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I generally make sure that BOTH sides are aware in advance. Never had to take it much beyond that for organisation - both teams comply etc. Then I've used teh whistle to mark the start and end of the minute (make sure you can see your watch)

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
If someone asks you, make sure you run it past the oppo well before KO. Just check where the teams are going to line up for the minute's silence (halfway, facing a clubhouse, stand, etc).

When they do line up. Just blow your whistle gently, keep an eye on your watch and then blow again around 45 seconds mark.

A minute can seem like an age.... always done the 45 second thing (as advised by an ex-International among our ranks).

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just line up on the half way of 10m facing each other, blow whistle time one min blow whistle again

Do this normally 2-3 times a year one for rememberance day and sadly there is normally 1-2 deaths that need to be marked

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
As others have said. Remember to thank the players, with particular attention to the visitors - they don't know the deceased from Adam.

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
many thanks guys
hopefully I am match 2 so I can observe

rocco

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
I agree on the 45 seconds but wouldn't it be more supportive for both teams to be in a single line together (such as on the 5 either side of the centre line)rather than facing each other?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Rocco - that would be my preference, there is generally a "favoured" touchline for the spectators, so would generally be on the 15m line facing that way. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx trt xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ref flanked by two tjs (if present) between the two teams.

Look down - hands together, watch on wrist clearly visible to downcast eyes, peep to start, peep to stop.

As mentioned above - make sure both teams know when, and where and why, include coaches as well as captains when briefing.

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Rocco - that would be my preference, there is generally a "favoured" touchline for the spectators, so would generally be on the 15m line facing that way. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx trt xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ref flanked by two tjs (if present) between the two teams.

Look down - hands together, watch on wrist clearly visible to downcast eyes, peep to start, peep to stop.

As mentioned above - make sure both teams know when, and where and why, include coaches as well as captains when briefing.

We followed this procedure at Stockport early this season in respect of a local guy but with the addition of a dozen or so U7 & U8 mascots in full kit lined up infront of the teams. A very moving and humbling sight.