Simon, row your boat alone....

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
If the situation were reversed, a man can play on a woman's team.

I admit to being a bit uneasy, but also worrying that I'm just showing my age.

I compare the size, power and aggression of the average male college player versus the equivalent female players (say, D2 to D2 or D1AA to D1AA) and I shudder.

For some reason as well I can't get much past "dunno, just seems wrong to me"

I agree, I was being a smart arse calling it sexist. It is uneasy.

Rugby is divided by sex. That is XX and XY. We have a mens world cup and a womens world cup.

Rugby is not divided by gender. That is the traits an individual choses to exhibit. Either masculine or feminine.

It is nice to be politically correct and inclusive, but we must realize there are unequal qualities between male and female. and to prempt any argument, I know other chromosone combinations exist.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Taff. Does the position she's playing impact your decision?
Yes - sort of. If she's playing in the scrum, bluntly there could be all kinds of issues with teammates putting their hands where they shouldn't. I was always under the impression this is mixed teams are allowed up to a certain age but not above that age. I definitely wouldn't allow it if she played in the scrum; I'd be a bit more sympathetic if she was one of the backs, but as somebody has already mentioned, the whole thing just doesn't look right to me.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Taff, I don't think that's the issue, if you start down that road you will end up worrying whether players in the scrum are gay ... I dont think you want to go in that direction. ...

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
This is a very interesting debate and i would love to see any WR/IRB guidance on the matter.

I think anyone saying it is inherently dangerous is being sexist. Yes, on average male players are bigger and stronger than women players, but there are plenty of scrawny little male players we let on the pitch against the 6ft 6 25 stone juggernaut of the opposition. Why not a woman?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I compare the size, power and aggression of the average male college player versus the equivalent female players (say, D2 to D2 or D1AA to D1AA) and I shudder.

Of course. But the question is about a specific player in a specific league, not about means and medians, isn't it?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
My examples are specifics. Those are the College levels I tend to do. None of the female players could live with her male counterpart.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
How do you feel about letting scrawny men with pubescent acne play?

several seasons ago when I was coaching a team in the london area (midweeks - I came home at the weekend) , there was a guy that trained regularly - 9 stone soaking wet but more importantly no obvious contact skills/ability etc. I told selection in now uncertain terms that as senior coach IMO he should not be picked for any team based on his own safety . TBH I dunno now whether that "advice" was followed but I figured I had done my utmost I was capable of.

didds

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Surely if she identifies as a man for that 80mins she/he can play.

Its all about what the person fancies being isnt it. So the modern thinking clowns say anyway.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
This is a very interesting debate and i would love to see any WR/IRB guidance on the matter.

I think anyone saying it is inherently dangerous is being sexist. Yes, on average male players are bigger and stronger than women players, but there are plenty of scrawny little male players we let on the pitch against the 6ft 6 25 stone juggernaut of the opposition. Why not a woman?

My bold above

Don't you really mean Scrumhalves?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Surely if she identifies as a man for that 80mins she/he can play.

Its all about what the person fancies being isnt it. So the modern thinking clowns say anyway.

Possibly the least common comment yet.

There are WR and USAR guidelines for how to deal with transgender players.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This got posted on the USA Referees Facebook page (abandon hope all ye who enter there)

I haven't posted my opinion yet. What's the consensus here?

To save you time, WR haven't explicitly banned it. The guidelines are against it, but leave individual Unions wiggle room.[/FONT][/COLOR]

what was the consensus on the USA Referees Facebook page?

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
what was the consensus on the USA Referees Facebook page?

Simon-allow me to answer and see if you agree.

The usa ref facebook was more concerned about legality of the issue than the lethality. Of concern was whether or not the ref on the day would be responsible for decision of a women playing in a game with men.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Well, first of all, if you ever feel bad about this site, go to that page. You'll never feel bad again.

NKW is broadly right. Discussion about Title IX by people who clearly don't know the first thing about it, which is always helpful. Then the usual use of daft examples about how top top level female players can live with the men. Which may be true, but we're talking your average college player here. Very little discussion about whether or not it is right in principle.

If you really want to waste some time in your life, go look at the discussions about HIAs.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Based solely on ethical considerations you'd have to let her play because to do otherwise is clearly sexist. I wouldn't stop a left handed person from playing, so why would I stop a woman?

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Based solely on ethical considerations you'd have to let her play because to do otherwise is clearly sexist. I wouldn't stop a left handed person from playing, so why would I stop a woman?

So it is between sexist or litigant. Take your pick Simon

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

If you go down that road, then you are saying she has a right to play even if her opponents are NOT happy about it (which lets face it is much more likely )

So if the opponent are not happy you would abandon the game straight away , just as you would if a team objected to the presence of a black/gay/Muslim or left handed player.?

Last edited:

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes

Dickie, if you would let the woman play in a men's game could you then stop a man playing in a women's game( as that would be sexist too)?