[Law] Simulation or play-acting ? Would you card someone ?

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
One from a game a couple of weeks ago.

Red attacking blue. They have a lineout just outside blue's 22.
Red 9 is receiver as per normal. Red win the lineout and pass it off the top to red 9, blue-7 has anticipated this and sprints off towards red-9. Red-9 gets his pass away very quickly.
As I set off to follow the ball, my eye catches blue-7's late follow-though on red 9. Nothing too dangerous or malicious. To me, it just looks like he timed it wrong. He IS late. I immediately think "penalty advantage" and stick out my arm.
However, what I didnt expect was red-9's falling to the floor like he'd been shot and clutching his hands to his face and rolling around on the ground for a few seconds. Now, I saw the contact. Tt was late but the blue-7's hands were nowhere near red-9's face. What I saw was blue-7 just push (with both hands ) the red-9's chest area. (after the ball had gone )
Even red's team-mates were looking at him disdainfully.
I blew up immediately, told red-9 and red-captain that the penalty that I was going to give has now been reversed for such play-acting.
After the game, blue coach suggested that I should have yellow-carded red-9 for that .
( There had been no other such-like incident up to that point in the game ).

Would you yellow-card such deliberate and blatant "simulation" like that ?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
It would depend.

It is not a clear cut YC so what was the mood of the game. If it had been a "no problem" game a word and reverse the PK as you did. If there had been a "bit of spice"during the game a card might do the trick.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
It's foul play, but not dangerous or match-critical. I think it would be harsh to go straight to a card. If red have already been warned for cynical/foul play, then maybe.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I think reversing penalty is fair enough .
Unless age grade , i would of still let penalty advantage play out .
Maybe red would of scored .
As for card ,,i wouldnt of carded ,,but let player know next 1 would .

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
One from a game a couple of weeks ago.

Red attacking blue. They have a lineout just outside blue's 22.
Red 9 is receiver as per normal. Red win the lineout and pass it off the top to red 9, blue-7 has anticipated this and sprints off towards red-9. Red-9 gets his pass away very quickly.
As I set off to follow the ball, my eye catches blue-7's late follow-though on red 9. Nothing too dangerous or malicious. To me, it just looks like he timed it wrong. He IS late. I immediately think "penalty advantage" and stick out my arm.
However, what I didnt expect was red-9's falling to the floor like he'd been shot and clutching his hands to his face and rolling around on the ground for a few seconds. Now, I saw the contact. Tt was late but the blue-7's hands were nowhere near red-9's face. What I saw was blue-7 just push (with both hands ) the red-9's chest area. (after the ball had gone )
Even red's team-mates were looking at him disdainfully.
I blew up immediately, told red-9 and red-captain that the penalty that I was going to give has now been reversed for such play-acting.
After the game, blue coach suggested that I should have yellow-carded red-9 for that .
( There had been no other such-like incident up to that point in the game ).

Would you yellow-card such deliberate and blatant "simulation" like that ?

Well spotted, well handled, i'd have done the same, Blue coach would of course likely take the contrary view if it was one of 'his' players.

[My heartfelt 'no thanks' to Huget / Hogg & co for bringing such rubbish into the game]

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think that reversing the PK would send the right message. Card not needed.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If it is the first time that it has happened in the this match then PK is adequate.

The fact that his play acting was compounded by the fact the initial PK would have been in their favour in an eminently kickable position then you got the decision spot on.