Sin Bin

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
If a player is YCd is it specified where they must sit ?

Can they sit with their teammates or take part in a warm up with them ?

Can a coach sit down beside them and talk to them during the 10mins ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If a player is YCd is it specified where they must sit ?

Can they sit with their teammates or take part in a warm up with them ?

Can a coach sit down beside them and talk to them during the 10mins ?
I would say that, in practice, it depends on the level of competition

In my games they stand on the touchline with the coach and the sub !

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Cheers , but cant seem to find the answers to my questions there.

Its a professional game question, basically a player that was sinbinned didnt sit in the allocated seat and went through a warm up routine with the other players.

I was wondering if this was allowed as I didnt think it was.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Reading the protocol and the example picture I'd say there should be a designated area to sit away from others (The "naughty boys step"). The only warm up would be sufficient for warming muscles for a safety reason towards the end of their susspension. I accept I'm reading a lot into the pictue and the words but that's my two-penneth.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Personally (at my level) I don't care where they are or what they are doing provided they are not participating or interfering in the game.
I have more relevant / important things to focus on!

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
7. Players Temporarily Suspended 7.1 When a Player is Temporarily Suspended, subject to clause 7.3, below, that Player must remain in the ‘sin bin’ area (as designated pursuant to clause 4.8.2 of the Championship Rules) for the duration of the Temporary Suspension. 7.2 A Temporarily Suspended Player may be given water and warm clothing while in the ‘sin bin’ area. If half-time occurs during the Temporary Suspension period, the Player may go to his Club’s dressing room but must return directly to the designated ‘sin bin’ area for the remaining period of his Temporary Suspension when the second half begins. 7.3 A one-minute warm-up period is permitted prior to the Temporarily Suspended Player returning to the Playing Area, in which the Player may leave the ‘sin bin’ area.

Found it eventually. its in the regulations of the relevant competition organisers in this case the URC

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Reading the protocol and the example picture I'd say there should be a designated area to sit away from others (The "naughty boys step"). The only warm up would be sufficient for warming muscles for a safety reason towards the end of their susspension. I accept I'm reading a lot into the pictue and the words but that's my two-penneth.
Naughty step - or comically undersized play-chair of shame…
2D9DED19-4580-40F9-8D75-BE292F88411E.jpeg

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I see your small man on a small chair and raise you with a large man on a large (sponsored) chair :D

sinbin.jpg

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
As Decorily says, not relevant in the weeds, where you are the only official and the players are simply standing on the sideline.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I recall the first "binees" had to go and stand behind the opponents' posts! Or have I made that up?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Correct LLP. Another stupid rule for the weeds which I never enforced. Now what about Technical areas being marked out :ROFLMAO: