Sirengate!

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A fabulous try to win after the siren but the problem was the siren sounded before the ball had been played.

[LAWS]Section 7: Timekeeping
3. If time expires in either half when the ball is out of play or a player in possession has been tackled and the ball has not been played the Referee shall immediately blow his whistle to terminate play...[/LAWS]

It was a close call, but I pressed pause when I heard the siren and the ball was not played.
sirengate.jpg
For those who watch the video, ignore the fact that the on-screen clock goes to 80:00 a few seconds before the siren sounds - the broadcaster's clock is not synced with the official clock.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's karma. The Storm copped a shocking call last week to lose the game.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's karma. The Storm copped a shocking call last week to lose the game.
It didn't lose them the game - it lost them a chance of winning the game. But yes, a bad call nonetheless.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Yep, a pack of hungry wolves for sure, but it does indicate the status of the game

"Less than a split second" ....?.......... Never heard that expression before

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yep, a pack of hungry wolves for sure, but it does indicate the status of the game

"Less than a split second" ....?.......... Never heard that expression before
Sounds like a VERY short amount of time ;) I'll let him get away with that one though - they had made him defend the decision 10 or so times before he slipped up explaining it again.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I reckon the siren sounded as he was rolling the ball back under his foot so good call by ref. Next thing you know Dragon's rabble will reckon the penalty try in 1999 was a conspiracy. Didn't that piss Tingha Blacklock off.

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I reckon the siren sounded as he was rolling the ball back under his foot so good call by ref. Next thing you know Dragon's rabble will reckon the penalty try in 1999 was a conspiracy. Didn't that piss Tingha Blacklock off.

Take your Victorian glasses off, Dickie ;)

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
I was watching it live, and thought it was very close to say the least.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Of course where I sit here in US, I do not understand implications of decision.

On video/audio the ball is played while the hooter is still sounding. That is the blast was long. Does time end at beginning of blast or at the end of blast? Also remember the thingy doodle about the speed of sound v speed of light.

Still the red team did have an opportunity/obligation to defend and compete regardless of hooter. I assume they are professionals and should know implications of not playing to the bitter end, fooled by hooter or not.

Referee had to make a decision. He made it, wrong or correct. He was man on the spot and he made it. Can't blame a ref for making a decision. He did what he had to do.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I reckon the siren sounded as he was rolling the ball back under his foot so good call by ref.

Tony Archer disagrees after frame by frame analysis...

Next thing you know Dragon's rabble will reckon the penalty try in 1999 was a conspiracy. Didn't that piss Tingha Blacklock off.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Tony Archer disagrees after frame by frame analysis...
Was quite annoying how he said it took all day with 'frame by frame analysis' when I sat down and managed to work it out a few minutes after the match by pressing pause when I heard the siren!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A fabulous try to win after the siren but the problem was the siren sounded before the ball had been played.

[LAWS]Section 7: Timekeeping
3. If time expires in either half when the ball is out of play or a player in possession has been tackled and the ball has not been played the Referee shall immediately blow his whistle to terminate play...[/LAWS]

It was a close call, but I pressed pause when I heard the siren and the ball was not played.
View attachment 2850
For those who watch the video, ignore the fact that the on-screen clock goes to 80:00 a few seconds before the siren sounds - the broadcaster's clock is not synced with the official clock.

Hang on though. You say you pressed pause when you heard the siren sound, and the frame you posted is the "paused" frame? Well look at the broadcaster's clock...... it says 80:00

PS: I have seen the video, and yes, I agree that the siren began sounding before the player had begun the play-the-ball. Should have been no-try.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Began sounding, was mid sounding, finished sounding, does it actually matter????

If the referee never blew his whistle, you should always play on until you hear it ........ Or does pro rugby mean that that thinking no longer applies?, I have little sympathy.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hang on though. You say you pressed pause when you heard the siren sound, and the frame you posted is the "paused" frame? Well look at the broadcaster's clock...... it says 80:00

PS: I have seen the video, and yes, I agree that the siren began sounding before the player had begun the play-the-ball. Should have been no-try.
Yes, the broadcaster's clock stops counting up when it reaches 80:00.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Began sounding, was mid sounding, finished sounding, does it actually matter????

If the referee never blew his whistle, you should always play on until you hear it ........ Or does pro rugby mean that that thinking no longer applies?, I have little sympathy.

I agree with you. Big However, however, is there gambling on these games? If so some loser may owe big money, some loser may get hurt.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I agree with you. Big However, however, is there gambling on these games? If so some loser may owe big money, some loser may get hurt.

When there's gambling, there's always winners and always losers, irrespective of when the final whistle blows.... Factor all eventualities into your betting risk v odds calculations. I've even less sympathy for gamblers .

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes, the broadcaster's clock stops counting up when it reaches 80:00.

Right. I never noticed that before (must confess I don't watch a lot of NRL).

In the SR RU broadcasts, the broadcaster's clock keeps running beyond the 80:00, and it can often get to 30 seconds or more past the 80 before the hooter/siren/foghorn sounds.

Anyway, I hear on the sports news this morning that the NRL are looking at having the timekeeper work more closely with the video ref, and to make the timing of the siren reviewable

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If the Storm set up is the same as the Rebels (noting they are at same ground) then the TMO (video ref) is 50 metres away from the time keeper.