Six Nations 2020

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
By all accounts the Six Nations has gotten off to a good start. Well apart from Italy who were kept scoreless.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Can’t imagine many England fans are in agreement either ... sigh!

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Jonny May played a blinder. Although admittedly Eddie Jones’ words at the beginning of the week came back to bite him on the ass. Not that he will ever learn, as post match he was already off again winding up the Scottish with his usual provoke.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
i still cant qwork out why anybody listens to the inane drivel that spouts from squad's mouths pre and post game.

edidds

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Jonny May played a blinder. Although admittedly Eddie Jones’ words at the beginning of the week came back to bite him on the ass. Not that he will ever learn, as post match he was already off again winding up the Scottish with his usual provoke.
How can he play a blinder when he was directly culpable for a French try? Not playing to the whistle is inexcusable.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
How can he play a blinder when he was directly culpable for a French try? Not playing to the whistle is inexcusable.

I like the comment from one of the pundits .. even if the whistle HAD gone, May should have nailed him !

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why do teams 17 points down with 20 minutes left keep kicking the ball away? All that happens is opposition play a couple of phases, then kick it back to where it was kicked from wasting another couple of minutes. Run the bloody thing then you might actually score!!
Also in last few minutes when team leading is setting up rucks off SH pass either side, why tackle then stand off waiting for the next one? If you dont have the ball you cant score, you need the ball back, hit the ruck with everything, counter ruck to get the ball back, then you can score!! All teams seem to do it. Cant they understand you need the ball to score and you have to find a way to win it back!!!!
Rant over!!!

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think that refs need to look at how teams hang on to the ball in that last phase .. essentially by having four forwards flop over the ball at every tackle.
Its impossible to counter ruck then

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Two tries and all is suddenly forgotten. Interesting scrummaging angles from the England replacement LHP. Almost looking at the AR pre "Crouch". Poor from Nigel there,

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Why do teams 17 points down with 20 minutes left keep kicking the ball away? All that happens is opposition play a couple of phases, then kick it back to where it was kicked from wasting another couple of minutes. Run the bloody thing then you might actually score!!
Also in last few minutes when team leading is setting up rucks off SH pass either side, why tackle then stand off waiting for the next one? If you dont have the ball you cant score, you need the ball back, hit the ruck with everything, counter ruck to get the ball back, then you can score!! All teams seem to do it. Cant they understand you need the ball to score and you have to find a way to win it back!!!!
Rant over!!!

Indeed you need to try and ruck to win the ball back.

From what I saw (no more than half of any game):

England were clueless.

Scotland's full back? What was he doing?

Sexton feigning injury. Poor show.

Wales? Italy were so poor, so very hard to judge them.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
just watched Fra v Eng 1st half .

Doesn't there surely come a time when you've bashed away and bashed away in the oppo 22 and not scored and have in fact gone backwards 15m... especially with time running out before half time, you at least look to a drop goal to tick the scoreboard along?

didds

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
England were poor however can't believe the TMO didn't look at the scoring pass for the first French try which looked a mile forward.
The second one, Nigel clearly believed it was a French knock on and asked the TMO at least twice if he was sure. Again for me it was a clear knock on.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
England were poor however can't believe the TMO didn't look at the scoring pass for the first French try which looked a mile forward.
The second one, Nigel clearly believed it was a French knock on and asked the TMO at least twice if he was sure. Again for me it was a clear knock on.

He was quite right to leave it to the tmo, in my opinion.

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
just watched Fra v Eng 1st half .

Doesn't there surely come a time when you've bashed away and bashed away in the oppo 22 and not scored and have in fact gone backwards 15m... especially with time running out before half time, you at least look to a drop goal to tick the scoreboard along?

didds
Was utterly frustrating watching that nonsense and the lack of imagination to overcome a good defence

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Maybe, but angles shown on TV we're not helpful in the clear & obvious stakes

Which means it wasn't clear and obvious, surely

- - - Updated - - -

The TV coverage missed a lineout .. in which Farrell took part ??
Did I hear that right ? Anyone know what happened ?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

It can’t have been a clear knock on if the TV pictures were inconclusive. I think it might have been knocked on, but there was nothing C&O on the TV pictures I saw.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I was a tad perturbed after the third French score when after clear foul play by England on the try scorer that caused the kerfuffle, NO just brushed it off.

You stop the late challenges, you don't get flare-ups.

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I was a tad perturbed after the third French score when after clear foul play by England on the try scorer that caused the kerfuffle, NO just brushed it off.

You stop the late challenges, you don't get flare-ups.

I agree completely. I see this type of challenge, where the defender has no realistic hope of actually stopping the try, as very problematic. It seems to be little more than an attempt to “punish” the try scorer; I can’t see what else it would achieve.

On a typical Saturday down in the weeds, I would sanction this with a penalty from kick-off... but as I reflect on this, I cannot recall ever seeing an international ref using this option. Does anybody have any examples where this has been done in top tier TV rugby?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
On a typical Saturday down in the weeds, I would sanction this with a penalty from kick-off... but as I reflect on this, I cannot recall ever seeing an international ref using this option. Does anybody have any examples where this has been done in top tier TV rugby?

It's often called a "10-point try", but it only seems to pop up once every couple of years. Here's an international example, ARG-RSA:
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/watch-mythical-ten-point-try/

And one from this board:
http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?16307-The-10-point-Try