Referees in England
Post Likes

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
"Assist with decision-making on forward passes by measuring the relative velocity of the ball relative to the player as it leaves their hands, so indicating whether the ball has been ‘thrown forward’ in the act of passing;" Hooray for a correct description of a throw forward!

"Provide instantaneous feedback indicating whether a lineout throw is not straight by measuring the angle of the throw from release to being touched by a player." A better description of a straight throw than written in Law.

"Provide instantaneous feedback indicating whether a scrum throw in is not straight by measuring the angle of the throw from release to being struck for by a player." Missing!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
"Assist with decision-making on forward passes by measuring the relative velocity of the ball relative to the player as it leaves their hands, so indicating whether the ball has been ‘thrown forward’ in the act of passing;" Hooray for a correct description of a throw forward!

"Provide instantaneous feedback indicating whether a lineout throw is not straight by measuring the angle of the throw from release to being touched by a player." A better description of a straight throw than written in Law.

"Provide instantaneous feedback indicating whether a scrum throw in is not straight by measuring the angle of the throw from release to being struck for by a player." Missing!
Yes .
Here's a thread where I said that the smart ball will mean all the definitions need to be rewritten.. and everyone said I was crazy :)

Post in thread 'Smart ball technology' https://forum.rugbyrefs.com/index.php?threads/smart-ball-technology.22589/post-381719

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
@chbg - what about combining the ball with the PA system and blasting out the Family Fortunes wrong answer buzzer when they pass/throw/feed incorrectly?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't think the system actually works like that though - there are no trackers on the players, only the ball, so it doesn't know the velocity of the player and so it can't really measure the relative velocity between the ball and the player

I reckon that what the system is actually doing is looking for a sudden change in the velocity of the ball (ie the moment it is passed) and making a calculation from there.. at the moment of the sudden change did the forward component of the balls velocity increase or decrease?

I would be interested to see how it can cope with things like
.. juggling
.. deft little grubber kick (distinguishable from a throw forward ?) .
..Would it notice a gentle toss forward.?

Would love to be part of the testing !