Referees in England
Post Likes
we had some discussion earlier.

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
It was used in the Premiership Cup. I think they said the main use at the moment would actually be for coaches at the elite level. Stats were a bit too much when they announced them and the commentators got a bit over excited comparing the distance and height of every kick to touch etc. No sign of it being used to influence any refereeing decisions though.

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I watched all 3 games this weekend and didn’t hear any mention of it. 🤷‍♂️

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Are we sure it's not a black tie piss up for the blazers?

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I watched all 3 games this weekend and didn’t hear any mention of it. 🤷‍♂️
I don't recall anything in the Wal v Ire game, but either (or both) of the the other two games included some numbers on how far a kick went and hang time on a couple of box kicks, but the commentators didn't mention it. Of course, I'm assuming this data came from the smart ball versus more traditional means of measurement.

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Ire v Sco game, kick for the corner. Sage stats comes up to say ball crossed 10.9m from the line. AR puts it pretty much on the 22.

No one on the field quibbles one bit, but with a 6/7m difference someone was clearly wrong!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
ouch!
and while I am always nervous about removing autonomy from on field officlas, in any sport, nonetheless when such technology is available, and is "instantaneous" in its provision./advice, why not then use it?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
ouch!
and while I am always nervous about removing autonomy from on field officlas, in any sport, nonetheless when such technology is available, and is "instantaneous" in its provision./advice, why not then use it?
It would be nice to pair it with the electronic advertising hoardings to mark the place

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
yup. Or at least flagged to the TMO who says over comms "Touch mark is 10.9m from the blue tryline"
Only saying TMO in this suggestions as they are the off f-field official who has comms with non field official. It could be anybody in that position.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
You're serious aren't you?
Why not ? Might be quite good fun when they are playing kick ping pong 😊

On the other hand might cause a commotion as it would illustrate so clearly that a ball passed backward often travels forward over the ground

Last edited:

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

On the other hand might cause a commotion as it would illustrate so clearly that a ball passed backward often travels forward over the ground
unrelated, but they could really use the smartball to update this 11yr old video that plenty of TV pundits have still not watched.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes

I wish they would switch off all animated advertising during the game, I find it a distraction -but then that is what it is designed for.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8