[Kit] Smart Watch App for Refs?

Jedzi

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
First time poster here. I've been refing children's rugby for a while but I've just stepped-up to adult rugby with my local society.

I've got an Apple Watch that I use for timing games & cards. It strikes me that there could be a really useful app out there that does that, as well as tracks position, keeps a running score etc.

Does anyone know of anything. A quick google has revealed RefSix, although that's aimed at football. Anyone tried it for rugby?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I use.... My Rugby Ref

It's a small one off cost to get and does everything I need.
Timer, score, penalty count, cards.
You output the results to your phone after the game and save them.

I still keep a running timer and a paper score as well, for a backup.

score.jpg

Jedzi

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Thanks - I hadn't found that one & it does most of what I want, which is great. The design & navigation is a little clunky in places, but it does seem to work.

I think I'll use it as a backup to the scorecard, certainly initially.

The scorecards I've been given (LSRFUR) don't have an obvious place for keeping a running score, so I just need to work that out.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Thanks - I hadn't found that one & it does most of what I want, which is great. The design & navigation is a little clunky in places, but it does seem to work.

I think I'll use it as a backup to the scorecard, certainly initially.

The scorecards I've been given (LSRFUR) don't have an obvious place for keeping a running score, so I just need to work that out.

I find it quite easy to keep a paper score and use the App.
The App is my running score and I add up the paper score when there's a stoppage to check against it.
I have had the App accidentally reset on me once (I probably pressed the touchscreen wrong somehow), so I will always have a paper record as well.

Incidentally I know we always advocate spare whistles, watches etc, but that proved useful last Saturday.
My main timer watch went dead (batteries).
My whistles pea got jammed.
Broke two pencils.
All in one game.
Luckily I had (but have hardly ever used before) my spare watch, spare whistle and at least three pencils.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

i would advise against keeping a running score -- make one silly mistake and that mistake remains with you for the rest of the game.

On the other hand if you add up the individual scores and make a mistake, it's pretty much self correcting, as the next time you add them up again you'll get them right.

Last edited:

madgagoo

Post Likes
i would advise against keeping a running score -- make one silly mistake and that mistake remains with you for the rest of the game.

On the other hand if you add up the individual scores and make a mistake, it's pretty much self correcting, as the next time you add them up again you'll get them right.

I keep a running score but always caveat, if asked by a player what the score is, that I never guarantee it’s correct until I’ve added it up again at full time!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I keep a running score but always caveat, if asked by a player what the score is, that I never guarantee it’s correct until I’ve added it up again at full time!

I must say I try to avoid giving the score .. if it's a casual question I will saying I am not sure, I would have to check (which is true)

When it's important I will get my card out and add it up carefully!

You don't want to make a mistake on this

Wh

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Over 25 years refereeing, and I've never had this be an issue.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Each team is required to keep score via the rugby xplorer app so I just tell them to ask their manager. I do keep a running tally of scores in my head and a paper card in my pocket.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Each team is required to keep score via the rugby xplorer app so I just tell them to ask their manager. I do keep a running tally of scores in my head and a paper card in my pocket.

Not a great deal of use in the 77th minute with a PK 30 mtres out. I want them playing not running to the side to consult.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not a great deal of use in the 77th minute with a PK 30 mtres out. I want them playing not running to the side to consult.

Their choice, not mine. I'll tell them my running score but if I have to waste time adding up the actual tally, what's the difference with the team looking to the side line?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Their choice, not mine. I'll tell them my running score but if I have to waste time adding up the actual tally, what's the difference with the team looking to the side line?

Well there is always Law 6.5.c which requires the referee to keep the score. Now I appriciate at the higher level they have people wh odo that for them but At the lower levels we don't. It's the referee's job.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'm with Mark. I dont see it as a problem for teams to ask - in the community game the ref may be the only person with the score anyway, on pitches with no scoreboard. Even on a pitch with a scoreboard it may be wrong anyway. Im sure weve all been at games where two scoreboards disagree, or arent even being chanmged from last weeks game final score!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I find it quite easy to keep a paper score and use the App.
The App is my running score and I add up the paper score when there's a stoppage to check against it.
I have had the App accidentally reset on me once (I probably pressed the touchscreen wrong somehow), so I will always have a paper record as well.

isn't it quite time consuming to use the app AND paper?

and do you make a note of each PK? (app / paper / both ? ) I am never sure how refs do that when you always have to be ready for a quick tap

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
isn't it quite time consuming to use the app AND paper?

and do you make a note of each PK? (app / paper / both ? ) I am never sure how refs do that when you always have to be ready for a quick tap

Just takes a few seconds to add the score as we make our way back to the half way line to restart after a score.

Penalty count is easy, you just tap the team and its adds a penalty to their side, if they go quick I just make a mental note and add it later when we slow down. I do miss a few but it gives me a fair indication of the amount of penalties each side is racking up.

pombok

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I wrote this one for Garmin watches. I did it just for myself really but it now has 13000+ downloads. 2 timers, one continuous and one you can start/ stop. Tracks GPS and heartrate. I didn't see the need to keeping score in the app as it gets a bit fiddly and all I really want to know is when time is up. It's a work in progress so happy to receive feedback.

Referee Timer | Garmin Connect IQ