Smashing them back

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The Labour leadership challenger was today in trouble for using the phrase "smashing them back on their heels". It was suggested this was a indication of violence, domestic or otherwise.

One of the defenses offered was that he was Welsh and that this was a well know rugby term.

I can't say I recall the phrase myself but if I run in through my head in the voice of Bill McLaren it does seem to sound reasonable.

Is anyone else aware of the phrase?

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
We live in a society where physically assaulting children aged as young as 8 and 11 for being little shits is seen as acceptable by some.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shocking-moment-pensioner-puts-child-8486206

Its hardly surprising that these terms are bandied around

didds

Sadly, we no longer live in a world where physically assaulting children as young as 8 is considered acceptable. As a result, there is nothing anyone can do when the little shits up my road ride past my house on the way to trashing the park, and chuck at my house and car the eggs they've nicked from the convenience store. I have to get my satisfaction from the knowledge that the little sods are likely to spend at least 20 of the next 30 years in prison, but if I and others like me were allowed to administer a timely clip around the ear I'd save the kids a lifetime of prison, and society £70k per year for 20 years.

Just my 2p

Ghengis

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The times I've heard and read:

" Should bring back the stick. I 'ad it loads ov times and i'neva done me no 'arm!"

Well if you "'ad it loads ov times and in neva done you no 'arm", it clearly did not work did it. Corporal punishment is about revenge and punishment it ihas nothing to do with correction and adjustment.

So sorry I can't agree all your "timely clip around the ear" does is satisfy your lust for revenge.

If you want revenge fine. I understand your desire. However, please stop kidding yourself this is a way to "correction".

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Not too sure why this is in a rugby forum. Apart from his involvement in the laughable "Valleys Rugby" idea. A idea which shows his total lack of economics. This is politics and best put in such a forum.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think this is just someone trying to be offended, TBH.

No, it's not a phrase I hear away from the rugby ground (or pub, when watching rugby), but encouraging violence? Come on!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Corporal punishment is about revenge and punishment it ihas nothing to do with correction and adjustment.
I can't accept that. It is far too black and white.

For most sensible people corporal punishment is intended as a deterrent. How effective that is depends on both people involved. However there are usually better ways of dealing with a problem.

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Not too sure why this is in a rugby forum. Apart from his involvement in the laughable "Valleys Rugby" idea. A idea which shows his total lack of economics. This is politics and best put in such a forum.

As stated, it was suggested that this was a well known rugby phrase. I'm not clear why you think a politics forum is a better place than a rugby forum to ask about rugby phrases.

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The exact wording was targeted directly at Theresa May and was "smash her back on her heels" (emphasis mine).
?

I intentionally took the gender out of it so it didn't descend into a discussion of sexism, misogyny and domestic violence. I was genuinely asking if anyone had heard the phrase in a rugby context.

Clearly you are all above such considerations.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I can't accept that. It is far too black and white.

For most sensible people corporal punishment is intended as a deterrent. How effective that is depends on both people involved. However there are usually better ways of dealing with a problem.

The evidence (re-offending rates) shows that it does not deter. In fact People proudly tell tells of being sat outside the Headmaster's office every Monday morning. It just is not s deterrent. It may have been intended to be one a long time ago, but surely we are not stupid enough to believe that it is one.

So, sensible people know it is not a deterrent. Peopel who like their piece of flesh may pretend it is one but it is not.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
As stated, it was suggested that this was a well known rugby phrase. I'm not clear why you think a politics forum is a better place than a rugby forum to ask about rugby phrases.

Because it was a phrase born out of politics. As surprise for some,but not everyone in Wales likes rugby. Smith uses it politically.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The evidence (re-offending rates) shows that it does not deter. In fact People proudly tell tells of being sat outside the Headmaster's office every Monday morning. It just is not s deterrent. It may have been intended to be one a long time ago, but surely we are not stupid enough to believe that it is one.

So, sensible people know it is not a deterrent. Peopel who like their piece of flesh may pretend it is one but it is not.
Google shows that your view is not universally accepted. For example:
The popular as well as the educational and psychological debates about corporal punishment are characterized largely by polarization. Those who are opposed want to rule it out entirely. Those who are in favor tend to have a cavalier defense of the practice that is insensitive to many reasonable concerns about the dangers and abuses of this form of punishment.
http://www.corpun.com/benatar.htm

I see no point in continuing this discussion.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I see no point in continuing this discussion.

What a surprise.

Interesting article. "Evidence of re-offending is not evidence of lck of deterent". Can't argue with that.

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Because it was a phrase born out of politics. As surprise for some,but not everyone in Wales likes rugby. Smith uses it politically.

No-one suggested everyone in Wales likes Rugby. I'm not certain which post you think implied that.

I must say, this forum has, in recent months, descended from a welcoming, friendly place where ideas could be exchanged and opinions sought into a lace where posts are lambasted, criticized and ignored and the posters insulted and derided.

I used to visit, daily, for intelligent, informed and interesting opinions on all things rugby. It's no longer the case. It's a shame that another light of civilization has gone out.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I used to visit, daily, for intelligent, informed and interesting opinions on all things rugby. It's no longer the case. It's a shame that another light of civilization has gone out.

This is a thread about politics... And you started it!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
That fact notwithstanding, his general comment is well founded

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
What is it with people who, when their opinion is challenged, cry and run home to mummy.

If you introduce politics expect strong opinion. If you can't stand the heat and all that!

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think we can still be civil to each other even when expressing strongly held opinions.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
*sigh*
A long suffering Mod writes:

We should be able to discuss issues in a courteous manner, regardless of the subject matter. Strong opinions do not excuse personal attacks or plain rudeness.

As we're probably all aware - you get one warning, and then you're suspended or banned.