Spectators

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Gents

Just a quick question, having AR'd the BUCS cup final on wednesday afternoon I had major problems with the crowd simply not getting back from the line despite being asked, told and having one or two toes squashed and referee intervention.

Is it still the case that the pitches should be roped off to prevent this sort of thing from happening ?

The spectators just seem to feel we're being spoilsports, even after I collided with the same spectator twice. Those of you that know me, would suspect that once might be enough to get the hint.

Ben

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hmmm, cup final with no spectator barrier?

Referee should have insisted on one as soon as he got to the ground.

Not sure about your area, but in Warwickshire this is a MUST DO from the county.

Mind you at a cup semi final I had a coach who insisted on getting out of his box and standing on the touchline. (spectators were behind barrier). Kept asking him to step back. Finally on a breakaway run he stepped out with his back to me as I sprinted down the touchline. Dipped my shoulder a little (ex-defensive end) as I hit him on the way past. Didn't look back, but heard a loud Ooopphhh!, followed by an Oooohhhhh from the crowd. He stayed in his box after that.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Gents

Just a quick question, having AR'd the BUCS cup final on wednesday afternoon I had major problems with the crowd simply not getting back from the line despite being asked, told and having one or two toes squashed and referee intervention.

Is it still the case that the pitches should be roped off to prevent this sort of thing from happening ?

Yes, and, as Phil said, the game should have been stopped until this happened.

(I know I point out that this isn't realistic for most Sunday morning club games - but for a Cup Final, it's a must. Emotions will run high!)

The spectators just seem to feel we're being spoilsports, even after I collided with the same spectator twice.

Of course they will. Once some people step forward, those that stay 5m back can't see what's going on any more, so they all have to come forward - maybe onto the pitch.

When you try to get some of them back, they clearly see you as the problem.

Without the support of the home club in making the ground safe, the referee should have halted the game. Without his support - or ability, in the absence of support from the home club! - you should have refused to AR it.

(But that's not an easy call to make, is it?)

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
given the situation westbury rfc (wilts) found the selves in when a spectator had his leg broken by a player bundled into touch because there was no rope, any club that doesn;t fulfill this requirement is just asking for trouble (for club read "organsing body" etc).

This is in England.

didds

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yesterday was the first league game I had a roped off area. :hap:

Only other time was a county game as an AR. Coaches and subs still thought they could walk up and down the line, despite technical areas being marked.

Nice to see especially as a nice re appointment late friday night.

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
Phil, when have you ever sprinted down the line? Your style is more like mine, a rapid trundle.....

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Phil, when have you ever sprinted down the line? Your style is more like mine, a rapid trundle.....

With my length of stride I am more like a leaping gazzelle.

But NOT a blonde gazzelle :rolleyes:

Blonde Gazzelle

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Unacceptable - such a match must have barriers in place and technical areas marked. Society blazers should raise it with organisers.

I ran as AR for Blind Pugh today in County Bowl Final (L8 clubs) and home club had fixed barriers and tech areas marked. We were lucky to have a Panel AR (in RFU t'suit) as #4 so all were kept in place.

They all recognised it was dangerous to not be there anyway with me as reasonably quick TellyTubbie on one line and a recent fast track referee recruit (ex-Romanian International prop - a real man mountain) flying up and down the other line.

Blind Pugh had a good preformance and he managed it well to deliver a fast exciting Final.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
recent fast track referee recruit (ex-Romanian International prop - a real man mountain) flying up and down the other line.

Now there's a fella you don't want to get trampled underfoot by, think steam roller with afterburners.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I wish Ian - but he would appreciate me calling in the forward passes I expect !

And the ice cold Stella afterwards :wink:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
given the situation westbury rfc (wilts) found the selves in when a spectator had his leg broken by a player bundled into touch because there was no rope, any club that doesn;t fulfill this requirement is just asking for trouble (for club read "organsing body" etc).

Did a 10s tournament yesterday. My 4th or 5th match. There was a ropeed area however because of the cricket square it was not 5m (more like 2.5m) although compliance was good. Two lads barrelled into touch and ended skidding on floor into the grandad of one of my son's colleagues. Uuuuppppp and down like the proverbial. Got to his feet looking a bit shaken but non the worse apart from muddy kegs. Could easily have ended up as per didds' story above.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And the ice cold Stella afterwards :wink:

Oh... you mean this one??

stella%20artois%20advert.jpg

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Ian - yes that will be the one.

I call as my witnesses various London Society referees who were at the RAC Club Dinners in 2009, 2008, 2007 (a particularly outstanding performance by WB, still dancing at 3 am in a nightclub close to Picadilly with no remaining mental or muscular co-ordination evident), 2006 or 2005.

Rew15

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was there in 2009.......I was leaving to go home.
Wayne's group were leaving to go to the nightclub.
Enough said.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
When i'm running touch i go for the old ATP!

Ask, with a smile and a bit of a joke ("trust me, you don't want me running into you":wink:, stay back please, thank you")

Tell, "get back now please, i wont ask again"

Penalise, this usualy involves me dropping my shoulder and not giving them any warning i'm coming through and at 6'4" and the wrong side of 20 stone I tend to make a big hole!

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
I have no concerns about running through people who get in the way. As a warning my first sweep up and down the line will involve getting hit by my flag which "just happens" to be sticking out to the side as I run past.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am thinking that running touch with a chainsaw on tickover might work, particularly if revving it up now and again. :eek:

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simon,

Some good photos of final on Gosport & Fareham website. Have attached one of Vasile running touch as first try is scored. Note despite cold wind blowing up the estuary referee and TJ's not wearing underskins (real men):wink: :biggrin:

Last edited: