Spitting - Red Card?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
An unwelcome first today, player lost his rag, full on spat at an opponent, then proceeded to challenge everyone on the pitch to a fight - seemed an easy red at the time and no one questioned it.

Filling in the report I struggled to pigeon hole it under law 9 though (I went with unsportsmanlike conduct), and it started me second guessing, any reason you wouldn’t go red?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
100% red card every time.

Call it unsportsmanlike conduct and physical abuse. Sounds like there was also verbal abuse after that too. I understand police deem a spit an assault, so perhaps use that as an indication you can say physical abuse.

For your report make sure you describe in detail what happened so the panel can assess both the appropriate offence and the (lengthy) ban to give.

(And please number your paragraphs in the report - it makes ta contested hearing so much easier to conduct).

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As described....nailed on RED!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
An unwelcome first today, player lost his rag, full on spat at an opponent, then proceeded to challenge everyone on the pitch to a fight - seemed an easy red at the time and no one questioned it.

Filling in the report I struggled to pigeon hole it under law 9 though (I went with unsportsmanlike conduct), and it started me second guessing, any reason you wouldn’t go red?

You sound like you may be doubting yourself.... no way.

Well done....

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
definite red unless he was trying to get out "Sufferin' Succotash"

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think you could go with 9.12 or 9.27

Try both? Try whatever has the highest TE sanction? Or leave it to the DP.

As soon as you get to the gob and challenging everyone to a fight the DP will find a way. In my Society we do not send our RC reports straight to the DP we do it via the Hon Soc Sec. I would do the same or whatever it takes to make sure matey gets his head nailed to the floor.

Anyway I refer my honourable fiend to his own statement from thread "Where are you this weekend?"

"...likely a more unpredictable game so adds to the fun..."

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
WR have it in Reg 17 as 9.27:
9.27 A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship including but not limited to:
Hair pulling or grabbing
Low-end:
2 weeks
Mid-range:
4 weeks
Top-end:
6+ weeks
Max:
52 weeks
Spitting at anyone
Low-end:
4 weeks
Mid-range:
8 weeks
Top-end:
12+ weeks
Max:
52 weeks

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I think you could go with 9.12 or 9.27

Try both? Try whatever has the highest TE sanction? Or leave it to the DP.

As soon as you get to the gob and challenging everyone to a fight the DP will find a way. In my Society we do not send our RC reports straight to the DP we do it via the Hon Soc Sec. I would do the same or whatever it takes to make sure matey gets his head nailed to the floor.

Anyway I refer my honourable fiend to his own statement from thread "Where are you this weekend?"

"...likely a more unpredictable game so adds to the fun..."

Yeah, kinda asked for that really!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Report is in (via society) so opportunities for feedback, went. For 9.27

Have also been told he’s getting a life ban from the club regardless, that could just be match day talk though