Spray paint

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I think it will help because it will lead to more remedial actions from refs, dumb SHs will get the message and thus we will see less crooked feeds.

If you believe that a line of shaving foam will replace referee lack of appetite for calling crooked feeds, then ill arrange a meeting for you with the toothfairy and santa.

Mike Cron wants more crooked feeds !!!

Sounds like pegleg consults lobbys works is on commission for a spray manufacturer?!

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I think Crossref and Simon Thomas are correct. It will come in at the top level especially on 3G pitches. Always make me smile seeing a ref try to male a mark on them. cost will mean that either they don't appear lower down or it is "up to the ref" to provide or not.

Browner, I don't think anyone is asking for "over fussiness". We make a mark now. So this is just a question of mechanics. One you point about it making a change and Mike Cron arguing for crooked feeds. Of course there must be a will to change back the enforcing the laws of the game. If the game is serious about it then this will help. If not, then it will have no affect at all.

What it will do is make it totally clear when the referees are not acting on crooked feeds. So if they come in refs need to be prepared for the "evidence" appearing on forums and TV programmes and more questioning of our performance.

An no I'm not in the business.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am not sure the spray will help with crooked feeds, I would expect that most times once the pack is set, and settled the spray will no longer be precisely in the centre of the tunnel anyway (which is fine) and it won't help.

I think that a visible, clear mark - whether made by a foot or spray - is most useful in the formation of the scrum.
- it tells the front rwo where to line up
- if the two packs are too close, or too far apart, their position relative to the mark tells the ref which one as to move. "blue, come up to the mark a little"

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I am not sure the spray will help with crooked feeds, I would expect that most times once the pack is set, and settled the spray will no longer be precisely in the centre of the tunnel anyway (which is fine) and it won't help.

I think that a visible, clear mark - whether made by a foot or spray - is most useful in the formation of the scrum.
- it tells the front rwo where to line up
- if the two packs are too close, or too far apart, their position relative to the mark tells the ref which one as to move. "blue, come up to the mark a little"

Post scrum set, if referees are going to assist on realigning with the foam , then expect a chorus ( from all viewers/players/commentators) of ...c'mon get on with it, its slowing everything down ......

What happens it the referee draws the scrum line crooked? Permission granted? ... Or does this licence all players to complain that the crookedness disadvantages them in some way .... Sir, this angle impinges our blind side defence ...can we have a straighter line please ...... Sorry sir, its too far the other way now, can we ...... Wtf!

If this lasts longer than Y9, then I'll be amazed. IMO, its a joke proposal.

PS.... Show me evidence that 'mark making difficulty' is impinging the elite 3g matches .....? I see no such thing on the matches I watch ....is this theoretical or real problem ?

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just thought it would be helpful to search "spray" before I asked the question. I reffed a game on Saturday and used vanishing spray for the first time. I had thought about it earlier in the year and bought a tin on amazon. Well.....the can only lasted 60 minutes as it was used for scrums, lineouts and penalties. Hookers seemed to like it, there were some "ooooo" comments. The gap in the line out was excellent all game. The tin only lasted that long as I guess that In football they only use it a few times a game. It's going to be an expensive season....

I managed to spray (deliberately) a props boot as well, caused some amusement - I like to keep things light and fun.

For me, was innovative, had a good purpose and added a bit of control to the game. I am thinking of shaving foam from poundland for next week as the spray was £7.99.......sorry to be so late in responding to a 4 year old thread.

Any comments or thoughts appreciated.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The thread reminded me of browner 6000 posts and 250 likes .. and, I believe?, the only person ever to get banned from rugbyrefs .
Sigh, those were the days ..

Paint did you hold it in your hand all the time , or did you have to take it to and from a holster , which seems fiddly

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Started off in the holster on my shorts. I managed to break the top of the canister early in so then put the tin in my shorts. Was v easy to whip it out for scrums and lineouts.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
put the tin IN your shorts?

TMI!

didds

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
put the tin IN your shorts?

TMI!

didds

Ahh.....perhaps "pocket" should have been mentioned......Didn't feel terribly safe there though to be honest. I will persist with the holster next time and hope the shaving foam fits in there. Have to say we had a nice clear lineout gap all match!

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not sure I like it. One more thing for my old brain to forget.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I can see it being useful on artificial surfaces, but not at £8 a tin.
Im guessing that shaving foam wont disappear like the spray does, and if it rains !!!!!!!!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I suspect Simon Thomas will only like it if it's Tom Ford shaving crème applied with a badger hair brush - by his valet.

I often use the "X" and "T" formed by intersection of lines with 15m and 5m and never notice a massive improvement in scrum straightness or otherwise. I've never refereed on an artificial pitch (there's only one dedicated pitch in Yorkshire 1 - at Keighley. One of those RFU funded schemes) that's not covered in a myriad of other sport's markings so I tend to use those if they're handy.

Needless to say I am not spending my own money on stuff of questionable benefit to me and certainly not for the benefit of scrum halves, props and hookers. :)

I have enough trouble with "left of the mark" with some hookers never mind drawing them a diagram.