Springboks v Lions

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ok... so you cant catch a ball on the full tilt run when both your feet are off the ground? which happens constantly at speed of course?

A catch in this regard presumably including a pass just to complicate matters.

didds

This was never an issue with the Laws in 1996, so why would it be an issue now?
If you were running when you caught the ball - mark not awarded
If you jumped to catch the ball - mark not awarded

The whole idea here is to disincentivise jumping for a kicked ball, and making it clear if you jump to catch the ball, you are putting yourself at risk of injury... the man on the ground with his eyes on the ball is King!

You reverse the whole thing, and make the player who jumps for the ball responsible for his own safety and the safety of others - if he jumps, catches and lands untouched, you play on as his offence is immaterial, but if he clatters someone, he is at fault... like this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwbVsz_95vc

ETA: for the record, that piece of idiocy by Stander ended Pat Lambie's international career. He suffered from severe, repeated concussion issues after that.

Last edited:

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
But the man on the ground is in a strong position. When was the last time someone was seriously injured by colliding with someone in the the air (who isn't committing and act of Foul play ie kicking his foot up), while running to compete for the ball. The risk of hurting yourself in a tackle is way higher than this. Are we going to ban tackling. Rucks are also another area, with the new Law trials that have came in create another risk with the Croc Rolls or Leveraging. In a couple of years time, are we going to ban rucks? I don't think there's an issue with the Laws as they currently are, in terms of the aerial battles. Yes the player jumping should bear some responsibility but the chasing player should bear the brunt of responsibility as they are in the stronger position.

For clarity from an earlier comment, even if Kolbe had jumped as little as 6 inches off the ground, that's still not OK. He needs to be high enough to realistically compete for the ball, meaning he needed to have been round about the same height. If he was a little lower, then fine play on. Murray's jump, while I'm not saying there was no forward momentum in his jump, most of the emphasis was vertical. Hence how he managed to get so high.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But the man on the ground is in a strong position. When was the last time someone was seriously injured by colliding with someone in the the air (who isn't committing and act of Foul play ie kicking his foot up)

Did you look at the video I posted in my last post?

There is a player who was on the ground, whose rugby career was ended by an idiot that jumped in the air for the ball.

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
It seems to me that if we go back to basics, Rugby is a game for players on their feet. So the man in the air has no right to the ball.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It seems to me that if we go back to basics, Rugby is a game for players on their feet. So the man in the air has no right to the ball.

Bingo!

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
When was the last time someone was seriously injured by colliding with someone in the the air (who isn't committing and act of Foul play ie kicking his foot up)

A few years ago now, but Thom Evans's career was ended (and IIRC he was penalised himself) from just such an incident.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I suspect this is only a problem in elite rugby anyway.

at grassroots it's much rarer for players to run and jump to catch a ball (it's hard enough catching it when it comes your way, and you attempt it standing still) ... it's even rarer for two players to be running and jumping to catch the same ball (and when it does happen, it's usually two defenders completely unaware of the eachother, and a horrible clash of heads!)

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
A few years ago now, but Thom Evans's career was ended (and IIRC he was penalised himself) from just such an incident.

Are you Talking about the Scottish Player Thom Evans, Brother of Max? If so no it wasn't. He was carrying the ball was tackled and collided with someone on the ground. The top of his head went in and was the point of the collision. With the force of the tacklers behind him, his own momentum and the force of the tackle in front meant there was a lot more force put through his neck than normal. Nothing to do with what we're talking about here.

KoolFork

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I suspect this is only a problem in elite rugby anyway.

at grassroots it's much rarer for players to run and jump to catch a ball (it's hard enough catching it when it comes your way, and you attempt it standing still) ... it's even rarer for two players to be running and jumping to catch the same ball (and when it does happen, it's usually two defenders completely unaware of the eachother, and a horrible clash of heads!)

You are probably right insofar as there aren't too many players who can do what Dan Biggar does, but many a catcher will get clattered by someone following up a kick. At junior level we used to coach catchers to jump with a knee up. If you're in the air you're safe - not literally so obviously...

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
WR made a massive error, and it's totally unfair to MJ.

They have Mathieu Raynal and Ben Okeef both there, as they are reffing #2 and #3 - one of them should be TMO, and somone else come in as AR.

I'll see your 1 non-neutral official and raise you

20210806_073451.jpg

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Are you Talking about the Scottish Player Thom Evans, Brother of Max? If so no it wasn't. He was carrying the ball was tackled and collided with someone on the ground. The top of his head went in and was the point of the collision. With the force of the tacklers behind him, his own momentum and the force of the tackle in front meant there was a lot more force put through his neck than normal. Nothing to do with what we're talking about here.

I must be getting my incidents mixed up. There was one in a Wales-Scotland game about 10 years ago when Lee Byrne jumped for a ball and a scotsman (I thought it was one of the Evans brothers, but 10 years is a long time ago!) ran into him and injured himself badly (and got penalised)

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I must be getting my incidents mixed up. There was one in a Wales-Scotland game about 10 years ago when Lee Byrne jumped for a ball and a scotsman (I thought it was one of the Evans brothers, but 10 years is a long time ago!) ran into him and injured himself badly (and got penalised)

It was Hugo Southwell I was thinking of (in 2011).

Can't find the video, but did come across this one (at 40 seconds): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32LJBXOPB_A

Perfect example of what you're talking about.

dfobrien

Post Likes
But the man on the ground is in a strong position. When was the last time someone was seriously injured by colliding with someone in the the air (who isn't committing and act of Foul play ie kicking his foot up), while running to compete for the ball. The risk of hurting yourself in a tackle is way higher than this. Are we going to ban tackling. Rucks are also another area, with the new Law trials that have came in create another risk with the Croc Rolls or Leveraging. In a couple of years time, are we going to ban rucks? I don't think there's an issue with the Laws as they currently are, in terms of the aerial battles. Yes the player jumping should bear some responsibility but the chasing player should bear the brunt of responsibility as they are in the stronger position.

For clarity from an earlier comment, even if Kolbe had jumped as little as 6 inches off the ground, that's still not OK. He needs to be high enough to realistically compete for the ball, meaning he needed to have been round about the same height. If he was a little lower, then fine play on. Murray's jump, while I'm not saying there was no forward momentum in his jump, most of the emphasis was vertical. Hence how he managed to get so high.

I think we are going round in circles now. I know what the laws (and more importantly the accompanying guidelines) say. But I and the others who argue as I do are suggesting that the laws as currently interpreted are daft. The original intent was to prevent grounded or semi-grounded players from tacking other players who were in the air. I think everyone would agree that is sensible. However, the current interpretation has moved well away from that starting point, and gives licence to players to compete aerially in the most reckless fashion. Kolbe plainly did NOT tackle Murray in the air; nor do I think it is obviously the case that he took him out in the air. You could argue that Murray actually took Kolbe out, and fell down awkwardly himself as a result.

To answer your specific points. Kolbe is in “a strong position” because he has elected, unlike Murray, not to recklessly put himself in a dangerous one. Why should he then be subject to sanction when he has not done anything wrong? And your second point about the contest in the air is problematic on two counts, to my mind. Firstly, if Kolbe has to jump essentially as high as Murray to avoid potential sanction, how can he estimate the leap necessary without taking his eye off the ball and looking at Murray … an action which in itself leaves him open to sanction! And secondly, it is hard to accept that a law which states that to avoid potential sanction Player B has to act as recklessly as Player A has player safety at its heart.

It is off topic and would not eliminate all these aerial collisions (but it would certainly reduce them): the plethora of box-kicking is a blight on the game, in my view, adds nothing to the spectacle, and wastes a vast amount of playing time (caterpillar joins ruck, blocking pillar(s) get in place, scrum-half rolls ball delicately back with foot, ref calls "use it", scrum-half hoofs ball sixty feet up in the air, invariably followed by a knock-on). Simple solution - ban kicking from the base of a ruck or scrum except in your own 22, and force teams to actually play rugby again. Sanction a free-kick to the opposing team. Any views?

Last edited:

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
A team battering itself against a well established defensive line will kick from 10 instead of 9. It will be a little quicker, but it won't reduce the amount of kicking.

dfobrien

Post Likes
A team battering itself against a well established defensive line will kick from 10 instead of 9. It will be a little quicker, but it won't reduce the amount of kicking.

Maybe, but you can't use the same long-drawn out process to make sure you are able get a decent kick away. The out-half will be under pressure from the defenders, or if not, will have to stand further back which will reduce the effectiveness of the kick-chase. And even if it ends up with same amount of kicking at least we'll be spared all the preparatory palaver which wastes all the time.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simple solution - ban kicking from the base of a ruck or scrum except in your own 22, and force teams to actually play rugby again. Sanction a free-kick to the opposing team. Any views?

or alternatively

- make a ruck law more like a scrum law so that when the ball is available and the ruck is no longer moving forward (ha, ha) then the ball must be used without delay. (So no more five seconds palaver time they are weirdly given under current laws)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
the plethora of box-kicking is a blight on the game, in my view, adds nothing to the spectacle, and wastes a vast amount of playing time (caterpillar joins ruck, blocking pillar(s) get in place, scrum-half rolls ball delicately back with foot, ref calls "use it", scrum-half hoofs ball sixty feet up in the air, invariably followed by a knock-on). Simple solution - ban kicking from the base of a ruck or scrum except in your own 22, and force teams to actually play rugby again. Sanction a free-kick to the opposing team. Any views?

the question shouldnt be how do we stop box kicking, but why is box kicking seen as aa highly preffered strategy over other options?

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
In my early playing days to make a mark you had to do 3 things simultaneously: make a clean catch (no adjustments then), dig your heel into the ground, and call 'Mark!' Oh and you retreated to make the kick while opposing players could stand on your mark.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In my early playing days to make a mark you had to do 3 things simultaneously: make a clean catch (no adjustments then), dig your heel into the ground, and call 'Mark!' Oh and you retreated to make the kick while opposing players could stand on your mark.

And you could buy a portion of chips wrapped in newspaper for tuppence, with scraps thrown in for free.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and we put kids up chimnies and down pits