Squeeze ball... what is it?

arb.angioni

Referees in Italy
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hi every one;

I'm a new italian referee, and I would like understand what is the squeeze ball ? And what does the referee do when it happens?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Squeeze ball is when a player on their knees on the ground with their upper body in a forward (possibly head on ground) position pushes the ball back between their legs.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
To answer your second question...at adult level referee does nothing, at underage it is deemed illegal (as it is dangerous) and is a penalty offence(in Ireland anyway)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
To answer your second question...at adult level referee does nothing, at underage it is deemed illegal (as it is dangerous) and is a penalty offence(in Ireland anyway)

...However when a player plays squeezeball, we expect the ball to be pushed back very quickly, with no delay, because a player in that position is lying on the ball in contravention of Law 15.5 (a)

[LAWS]15.5 THE TACKLED PLAYER
(a) A tackled player must not lie on, over, or near the ball to prevent opponents from gaining possession of it, and must try to make the ball available immediately so that play can continue.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

[LAWS]15.5 IL GIOCATORE PLACCATO
(a) Un giocatore placcato non può giacere su, oltre o vicino al pallone per impedire agli avversari di guadagnarne il possesso e deve cercare di rendere il pallone disponibile immediatamente in modo che il gioco possa continuare.
Sanzione: Calcio di Punizione
[/LAWS]

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
faster than greased weasel poo, i think the phrase goes.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
faster than greased weasel poo, i think the phrase goes.

Yip.... that technical term also applies to the collapsed maul.

Not sure how that will translate to French!!

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Più veloce di ingrassato donnola poo

:italy:

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If I see squeeze ball I want to know that the player didn't deliberately cover the ball to give more time for his support. Either they were forced there in the tackle and made every attempt to present the ball immediately or they didn't. If they didn't it's a PK as Ian said above.

At junior level, especially if I was unfamilar with the club, I'd make sure any PK went with an explanation that I wouldn't accept it so that there was no confusion.

arb.angioni

Referees in Italy
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Squeeze ball is when a player on their knees on the ground with their upper body in a forward (possibly head on ground) position pushes the ball back between their legs.
Thank you so much

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
He can do it as slow as he likes -as long as the first LEGAL player can gain access to the ball.

It is a penalty offence at U19 because it puts the player in a very vulnerable position.

At adult level you may have to penalise the 'squeezer' quickly to protect him.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Squeeze ball is prohibited in RFU-land only at U18 and below. U19 comply with the World Rugby Under 19 Law Variations.