SRU Level 1 Referees Course

Jason R

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Hi folks,

I've been a rugby fan for quite a while, and have lurked on these forums as a guest for many years due to my interest in both the Laws of the game and the role of the Referee.
After toying with the idea for a bit, I have finally decided I'd like to learn to become a referee, and have registered for a SRU Level 1 Referees Course taking place at the end of June at BT Murrayfield.
I have completed the Rugby Ready online programme, and am working my way through the updated 2018 Law book, but I wondered if anyone has any hints/tips on what I can expect during this course, and/or any advice on how to prepare for it?
Is there anything particular I might need to take with me (I have not played the game myself, so do not have boots, etc so if these were required I'd need to pick them up before hand)?
Thanks in advance. :)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I assume they will tell you if you need to take boots with you.

If it's anything like the WRU Level 1 course though, it will be 100% classroom based, but I do remember that their e-mail made that very clear.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not sure if comparable, RFU Level 1 is half classroom and half reffing mini games, on a playground in my case but could be outside so i’d Go prepared

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm sure one of our Scottish refs will be around to help you soon. Well after celebrating the Cricket result at least! That said I'd tale the law book with you both the 2018 and a 2017 if you can get hold of one pen and paper too!! I'd have some kit available Trainers and trackies. On my L1 (WRU) we did a little bit of work outside (setting up rucks and mauls etc). Stuff that your could do inside or out to be fair. I'm sure the SRU will tll yo uwhat you need to take.

Good luck with the course!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
American L1 is half class, half live.

And while we're on the cricket...two things, and one will make you feel old. David Sole's lad played in the cricket and Big Gav's lad played for Scotland against Canada.

And second. Just a shout out for Test Match Special. What a great institution the Beeb have given us in TMS. Wonderful radio and podcasts.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
First rule out for reffing .. take all your kit, cover yourself for all possibikities :)

Good luck !

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
BTW - Guess who gets to play the mini games your colleagues get to ref?
Keep hydrated.
Have fun.

Jason R

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Thanks for all your input so far guys. Much appreciated.

Not yet had an email from Scottish Rugby RE what I should expect or take with me, and having not played the game myself I don't have any existing kit to speak off.
Looking at the event page, it appears registration for the course is open until Wed 27th (just few days before the course), so was worried they might not email out till after that, which would only leave me a couple of days to pick up anything I didn't have.

Might just start picking up some basic kit just in case, and if in the end it's not needed for the course, at least I'll have a head start on putting together a kit bag for later.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Do you have shorts (football?), T-shirt & trainers. I can't imagine you'll need more than that.

Jason R

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Do you have shorts (football?), T-shirt & trainers. I can't imagine you'll need more than that.
If that's all I'll need, then yeah I've got those. Guess I was fixating on needing boots and the like. :hap:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Mebbe reach out to the RDO in your area and have a chat?

I can't talk with any confidence about the course; if it's the same as the L1 here, go equipped to run about a field.

If it's "what do I need to referee?" there's about a bazillion threads on that, but we can add to that.

I love the fact that you're trying to get prepared and take it seriously. That fact alone bodes well for you and your future. If you carry that forward to your refereeing - at any level - you'll fulfill your potential.

Relax and enjoy it.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Get a pair of boots that are applicable to your role as a ref .
I find part stub part mould very good .
Dont get long studs , they will slow you down .

Just to be sure , maybe get a gum shield , scrum cap and a kicking T ...

Remember rugby pain is the best feeling out there .
So dont worry to much about that .

Also if you get a shoulder to your head , with no effort of a wrap .
Some on this forum will tell you , its your own fault , because you were too low in your posture . .

Have a great session & buy a good whistle also .

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
i was gonna say - a whistle?

small notepad and pencil (entire threads exist on that!).

make sure your boots are white,. with day glo pink laces. ;-)

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I used to run the Level 1 course here in England.

Assuming it is similar you should get a letter/email before joining with details of everything you need to take, there will probably be some pre-course work as well. In the UK you would need to do Rugby Ready online, World Rugby Online Laws exam, and the online Headcase course. Then download your results and take them with you.

You should go in sports kit with trainers and boots, but if you only have trainers you should be fine, unless its lashing down with rain?
Notepad and pencil. Everything else should be provided if its anything like the RFU course.

But as I said you should get a letter or an email with all the details before the course starts, including location of the venue.

Go with an open mind and enjoy it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
That said I'd tale the law book with you both the 2018 and a 2017 if you can get hold of one
I appreciate it was a light hearted comment, but only on rugbyrefs.com would a brand new ref ever be told that he needed to get both this year's and last year's Law Book !

Jason R

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
there will probably be some pre-course work as well. In the UK you would need to do Rugby Ready online, World Rugby Online Laws exam, and the online Headcase course. Then download your results and take them with you.
Thanks Phil E. Prior to signing up for the course, it stated that the Rugby Ready online course was a prerequisite, so I have completed that, and have downloaded the certificate.
I have also completed the basic World Rugby Online Laws exam, and the World Rugby Introduction to Match Officiating (Pre-L1) online course, for good measure. However, I haven't come across the Headcase course you mention.

Jason R

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Just to be sure , maybe get a gum shield , scrum cap and a kicking T ...
make sure your boots are white,. with day glo pink laces. ;-)
I have a feeling you guys aren't being entirely serious with these suggestions... :chin: :biggrin:

i was gonna say - a whistle?
Have a great session & buy a good whistle also .
I've got an Acme Thunderer 58 on it's way. <style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px}</style>

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I've got an Acme Thunderer 58 on it's way. <style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px}</style>

On the RFU version of the course you get given a whistle and a law book as part of the course. Never hurts to have more than one whistle though.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
On the RFU version of the course you get given a whistle and a law book as part of the course. Never hurts to have more than one whistle though.

Or more than one Law Book :wink: