Stade Toulousain - Saracens

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So, there was this maul which ended unsuccessfully and, I quite frankly don't understand totally AR's decision nor what he says.

Why is it Toulouse's ball in the subsequent scrum?

Not a direct catch? AR's unsure of who put the ball in the maul nor who had possesion so attacking team's ball?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Why is it Toulouse's ball in the subsequent scrum?

Not a direct catch? AR's unsure of who put the ball in the maul nor who had possesion so attacking team's ball?

Seems a bit odd to me. He originally gives the feed to White then changes his mind after a discussion with Asst Ref (I think). Perhaps he ruled that White caught the ball but a maul didn't form immediately?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Listen around 1:30 - 'Black' considered to have caught (comment: had more control over) the ball from their own kick.

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
But that's not the way it should be. If black caught the ball from a teammate kick, then it's turnover ball, shouldn't it?

(c) Scrum following maul. The ball is thrown in by the team not in possession when the maul began. If the referee cannot decide which team had possession, the team moving forward before the maul stopped throws in the ball. If neither team was moving forward, the attacking team throws in the ball.

(h)
Scrum after a maul when catcher is held. If a player catches the ball direct from an opponent’s kick, except from a kick-off or a drop-out, and the player is immediately held by an opponent, a maul may form. Then if the maul remains stationary, stops moving forward for longer than 5 seconds, or if the ball becomes unplayable, and a scrum is ordered, the team of the ball catcher throws in the ball.

‘Direct from an opponent’s kick’ means the ball did not touch another player or the ground before the player caught it.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Of course - I stand corrected, thank you. But I think that AR and the AR made the same mistake. Easy to do!

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Thanks MrQeu

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
yep.. ref and AR decided that black kick + black catch plus unsuccessful end to a maul = black scrum.

Cock up.

didds

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
17.6.(h) states "kick from an opponent", as such, you guys are right to say it doesn't apply...

But, see 17.6.(c):
[LAWS]17.6.(c) Scrum following maul. The ball is thrown in by the team not in possession when the maul began. If the referee cannot decide which team had possession, the team moving forward before the maul stopped throws in the ball. If neither team was moving forward, the attacking team throws in the ball.[/LAWS]

It looks to me like both players are catching the ball at the same time. Hence, it looks like we are in the bolded case above...
Me thinks the decision is ok...

Did I miss something?
Cheers,
Pierre.

Edit: The explanation to the player isn't correct though :chin:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
17.6.(h) states "kick from an opponent", as such, you guys are right to say it doesn't apply...

But, see 17.6.(c):
[LAWS]17.6.(c) Scrum following maul. The ball is thrown in by the team not in possession when the maul began. If the referee cannot decide which team had possession, the team moving forward before the maul stopped throws in the ball. If neither team was moving forward, the attacking team throws in the ball.[/LAWS]

It looks to me like both players are catching the ball at the same time. Hence, it looks like we are in the bolded case above...
Me thinks the decision is ok...

Did I miss something?
Cheers,
Pierre.

Edit: The explanation to the player isn't correct though :chin:

But in this case it doesn't matter which team had possession when the maul began.

If White took it in direct from a Black kick, then it is a White feed.
If Black took it in direct from a Black kick, then it is a White feed.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But in this case it doesn't matter which team had possession when the maul began.

But if he didn't know who had possession when taken in, then black was moving forward when it ended bad, AND black were the attacking team...so black feed.

But personally, I think AR had it right and equitable the first time, and looked to be more of a catch by white than black. I think his AR made him look a dick by chiming in. In crickets DRS terms it was a "umpires call!", and Roland should have stuck to his own decision.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Seems to me that its difficult to determine who took that ball in as both players had a mitt on it and neither had control when the maul formed. Black put the drive on and were moving forward, so I would be giving it to black, if I had a good veiw of the contest (AR may have been slightly blindsided by the black player). Can equally see it being given to white depending on how you see the catch though and would probably be a fairer call.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Seems to me that its difficult to determine who took that ball in as both players had a mitt on it and neither had control when the maul formed. Black put the drive on and were moving forward, so I would be giving it to black, if I had a good veiw of the contest

That doesn't make sense to me.

If White had clearly caught the ball, the scrum would be to White. If Black had clearly caught the ball, the scrum would be to White.

You're suggesting that because it was unclear who caught the ball, the scrum should be to Black???

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That doesn't make sense to me.

If White had clearly caught the ball, the scrum would be to White. If Black had clearly caught the ball, the scrum would be to White.

You're suggesting that because it was unclear who caught the ball, the scrum should be to Black???

True...but that's what the law says you should do (ie probably one of those "when in doubt reward positive play..yadda yadda yadda"). No one is saying the law makes sense!

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Not listening to the audio, I felt that the call was unclear who took it in etc so the scrum goers to the side going forward / attacking side etc. Both of which point to a Black put in. However, whichever side caught the ball the scrum was to blue/ grey. Logic suggest that the "correct" call is therefore Blue / grey ball. The other possibilitie, that post to this thread suggest, are that either; the sight of Black catching a kick made the official "assume" the kick came from blue / grey Hence a Black scrum or there the maul did not form immediately. Neither are convincing.

So, I guess it was one of those moment where logic deserts you in an unusual situation.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Could it be that AR/the TJ felt that white took it in and then black stripped it, drove forward and because of this they were the team in possession and going forward and gave it to them. Can't think of it in the Laws and for some reason can't get on to them but just a stab in the dark?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
If you are clear Black took it in White get the scrum- team not in possession.
If you are clear White took it in - direct from a Black kick - White get the scrum
However, if you think there was a delay between White fielding the kick and the maul forming scrum goes to Black as team not in possession.
If you are not clear who took it in scrum goes to side going forward - but in this case the maul was stationary, therefore scrum goes to the attacking team - Black,

And they say the laws are too complicated.

Camquin

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
At original speed I thought black got the better of the 'contested' catch
So I was looking for a white feed ...next

Rolland looked to have made the same decision (he says "they caught the ball" as an explanation to the querying borthwick) , but then reversed it on the suggestion of his assistant (seemingly on the immediate maul law)

Which meant it became the wrong decision IMO

(Borthwick re-queries and Rolland says something about ' his' interpretation)

A good example though well done for posting it,

Last edited:

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

This is what crossed my mind also.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
What if White took it is, but the ball was touched by Black before White caught it? So it isn't "Direct from a kick". So then White formed the maul, and didn't get it back, so Black ball?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
then surely its a knock on by black (ball went towards white DBL) and scrum white?

didds