[Ruck] Stepping over player at ruck

Timotei

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
apologies if previously covered...internet going SO slowly tonight...

tackled player places ball back towards team mate, first supporting player places one foot over tackled player, one foot behind and adopts "tower of power" position....

is this legal?

or

must player drive right over tackled player, or alternatively stay on his / her side of tackled player and adopt position?

question arises from game today, and have another tomorrow....

thoughts / clarification please.

thanks,

Timotei

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
apologies if previously covered...internet going SO slowly tonight...

tackled player places ball back towards team mate, first supporting player places one foot over tackled player, one foot behind and adopts "tower of power" position....

is this legal?

or

must player drive right over tackled player, or alternatively stay on his / her side of tackled player and adopt position?

question arises from game today, and have another tomorrow....

thoughts / clarification please.

thanks,

Timotei
Hi timotei
By what you describe a ruck has not yet formed .
If he has done this stance in anticipation of incoming opponents to form a ruck , he can do so .
However although tackled player needs to move away from floor ,,he is also entitled to be allowed move away and not be stepped on .
So the man who has his stance half over tackled player on floor ,,he has a safety obligation to not danger him also .

Timotei

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
My thoughts were that this was ok so long as in stepping over the player did not endanger any other player, - so agreeing with you I think Christy. Opposing coach was adamant that this was now illegal, although I think he is perhaps mixing this up with stepping through a ruck and kicking ball from SH's hands.

Anyone have a different view?

thanks again,

Timotei

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What you describe is perfectly legal. It's a tackle situation with no offside lines, just a "tackle gate". Assuming he came through the gate he is fine to stand there.

I think you are correct regarding the coach, he was confusing it with stepping over a ruck to play the ball. What you described was not a ruck.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I wouldn't go so far as to say it is "perfectly legal".

It is common practice and generally accepted.

The tackle is complete and therefore it is open play. Technically it is illegal to stand in front of the ball and prevent opposition getting to it.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I wouldn't go so far as to say it is "perfectly legal".

It is common practice and generally accepted.

The tackle is complete and therefore it is open play. Technically it is illegal to stand in front of the ball and prevent opposition getting to it.

Tell me under what law reference it is illegal.
As described he is over the ball not in front of it.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

I see this as the critical point. If the player is positioned such that the ball is in front of his hind foot then he is legally positioned to create a ruck should an opponent challenge for the ball.

If he is positioned ahead of the ball then he is obstructing.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Actually Phil E you are incorrect..... the position in relation to the ball is not described at all!

The supporting player is described as placing one foot over the tackled team mate and one foot behind.(By over I am presuming that means in front of and not merely hovering over)

In practice this would generally place the supporting in a position where they are ahead.

EDIT - spelling

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes

Playing devil's advocate, but if it's open play and he's ahead of his team mate who last played the ball...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Actually Phil E you are incorrect..... the position in relation to the ball is not described at all!

The supporting player is described as placing one foot over the tackled team mate and one foot behind.(By over I am presuming that means in front of and not merely hovering over)

In practice this would generally place the supporting in a position where they are ahead.

You still haven't given a law reference. And we both know you would never give a penalty for it.

Playing devil's advocate, but if it's open play and he's ahead of his team mate who last played the ball...

He's not ahead, he's straddling him.

This is a pretty pointless argument. No referee worth his whistle is going to give a penalty in the situation described in the OP. If they did, they would lose all credibility with the players.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Timotei,

Agree entirely with Phil E. What you describe is fine - there is no ruck, his shoulders above his hips/supporting his own body weight.

The player is allowed to do that so long as he has entered the tackle zone legally and is not in front of the ball on the floor. Sometimes a player will "take the space" beyond the ball (ie, as you describe, but he moves further ahead of the ball on the floor and disrupts the opposition from legally contesting the ball.

Keeping it simple - the picture you painted in your Q is fine :) The coach is a confused fruit...

Wert

Timotei

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thanks All,

although a few technical arguments, we all seem to be generally agreed to referee it as i did...

thanks for the reassurance!

Timotei