Anyone watching?
Thoughts on the first half officiating?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I thought Jaco was very good. I didn't see anything which I thought was obviously wrong.

Also thought his scrum management was excellent, and he communicated his decisions very well

I was also impressed with the way he dealt with Cruden getting a bit mouthy. There was a deliberate knock on by a Stormers player (about 34 minutes in) which was PK. Cruden made a less than respectful suggestion that it ought to be a YC. JP ignored it but then Cruden went on about it. JP whistled time off, called Cruden and Cane over, and warned Cruden if he spoke like that again he's bin him. At the next stoppage, Cruden made a point of apologizing to JP, to which JP replied "OK, but not again"

JP was the only referee in the Lions series who made the Lions line-out forwards shut up and stopped them closing the gap. Pity the two referees that followed him didn't follow his lead.

Last edited:

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I was particularly interested in the penalty he gave similar to JG at the end of Test 2. This one though was foul play after the ball was in touch!