Stretch tee shirts

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Has anyone experienced the stretchy type tee shirt/vest for wearing under your rugby shirt.

my new society shirt is short sleeved and I'm tempted to buy the version for cold weather, but at £20plus I'd like to know if they are worth it. I may bin the short sleeved shirt when the weather cools down anyway, save it for spring. Key point, are they comfortable to wear or do you feel like a trussed chicken? How easy to get on/off?

Anyone laughing at this point is at least 45 years old.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
good guess, Tim, i was giggling ... and i am 45 ..

PeterTC

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have one, keeps me very warm, even when the Arctic Cambridge breeze comes out, and is good at keeping the layer of sweat off the skin so that when it cools it doesn't make you feel cold. Getting on and off isn't too much of a problem, although can sometimes involve a bit of an almost peeling it up and voer your head!

I would recommend one anyway! They are comfy and easy enough to get on and off.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Not just laughing but roaring with mirth - you guessed it, well over 45, but still at level 7 !

Do you get them in nice dayglow colours and with go-faster side stripes ?

PTC - we used to manage the Cambridge breeze in a standard shirt, what has happened to you lot ? But in those days they were all male colleges and we had 'bedders' to get a nice fire stoked up for when we came off the pitch - my rooms were right next to 1st XV pitch at Jesus !

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I have a few of them (Quel grande surprise!). You can get the short-sleeve ones for cold weather. They are thicker and help reduce heat loss, though are made of that stretchy material as well. That being said, I still wear the ones for "hot weather" even when it's cold, as these are designed to wick away moisture i.e. sweat so your body doesn't overheat. They are very comfortable under the rugby jersey, and b/c it's on so tight you forget it's on during the match until you have to take it off. Luckily if you sweat a lot it will come off easily.

I'll normally wear one during my warm-up, underneath my warm-up jacket. Then I'll put the jersey on 10 minutes before the match.

Try a few on, as different manufacturers have different size codes (I'm a Large in the Canterbury ones, but only a Medium in the Under Armour).

Oh, and never wear them on their own unless you have the body of a Greek God (no, not Bacchus). Just as tight fitting clothes accentuates your big muscles, it also makes even the tiniest guts look like a double for the Michelin Man.

-Bryan

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
love to see a referee with body of greek gods Aphrodite, Athena, Hera and Demeter in one the new fangled under-shirts !

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
St ... what's a 'bedder' ... and what other tasks did he/she have to perform for you? Is it a bit like a 'fag'?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
A bedder was a college employee back in the days when they actually did their job properly rather than just hoover once a term. They made your bed, tidied your room, lit your fire - everything except sit your exams. I think. Bit before my time!!

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
I just got another one of these shirts, I'm a big fan of them. The new one I got is a Nike Dri-Fit.

I agree with Bryan that they work well for warm and cold weather.

P

pending

I have both the short sleeve one for warmer weather (prevents jersey from rubbing directly against your skin when it gets wet) and the Under Armor cold gear for when it's cold and rainy (or snowy as was the case late last fall). Once you get them on properly they're quite comfortable, although it sometimes takes a minute to get the sleeves all twisted to get there.

As for getting them off, the lightweight short sleeve one comes off no problem. The long sleeve one isn't a problem, although it's significantly more difficult when it's wet.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In my day bedders (short for bedmakers) only worked mornings. The male equivalent was a gyp - possibly short for gypsy, though nobody knows why. The small kitchen on each floor was called a gyp room.

Mrs Barker would wash dishes, tidy up, hoover, and make the bed. She walked in one morning on a friend who was entertaining a young lady, and simply said, "Breakfast for two, Sir?" My father dropped in one day and was amused that she wore stockings and ear-rings to work. She was invaluable.

Brian Ravenhill

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've got a Kooga Skin, and fits like a second skin. Mines the vest type so don't have any problem with sleeves. I wear it for every game hot or cold as assume it works in same way as thermos flask. Also stops nipple rash on really hot days. Value for money definetly
Also got a black pair of gloves for when its really cold (Forest of Dean at any time) but only one long sleeve shirt.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I have a very thin long sleeve thing which is a thermal base layer for cross country skiing.

Toasty warm under a long sleeve shirt in the depths of winter, and wicks the sweat away a treat.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
What is the world coming to? It will be balaklavas next, or woolly knee warmers.

In the good old days we just froze our b*lls off and spent 24 hours recovering, but then of course none of the players had the wimp protection padding that they all put on... Ban the lot!!!:eek:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
In the good old days we just froze our b*lls off and spent 24 hours recovering

I remember my old sergeant-major explaining very clearly that any one could be uncomfortable.

F

Frank Venner

Under Tee Shirts

Tim
Like you the London Society have new short sleeved shirts this season and although smart they aren't cotton like our old ones. I have therefore brought a Canterberry short sleeved wicking shirt to wear under the Society shirt and have to say it's well worth the £25 investment. In simple terms it wicks (breaths) taking sweet anyway from the body, out through the shirt leaving your skin dry so you don't get too hot or cold. Yes they have to be tight fitting to work, but I'm 46 and don't have a problem with them. Actually I also wear Canterbury under shorts both when playing and refereeing which are again excellent and ceratinly help prevent groin strains etc.

V

vzf7f9

Agree With Bryan,

I too have both. Expensive but well woth the cost.

Mark.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Mike Whittaker said:
What is the world coming to? It will be balaklavas next, or woolly knee warmers.

In the good old days we just froze our b*lls off and spent 24 hours recovering, but then of course none of the players had the wimp protection padding that they all put on... Ban the lot!!!:eek:

Rumour has it that there is an adviser lurking in there somewhere under that mountain of duffle coat.