Level 8
Thoughts on these?
(the studs, not the colour)
Are they less than 10mm across the tip?

new balance furon.jpg

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
The pair of studs on the heels of those Furon 2.0 look lethal.

Since 10mm refers to the diameter, I'd say those are less than 10mm. Perhaps they are 10mm from apex to apex, but that's stretching it, to accept these pre match.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
those are sufficiently unusual that I don't think anyone would blink an eye if you banned them

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Whatever the diameter is, I'm not letting anyone play in them!

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I actually haven't looked at Regulation 12 for a while - the latest version is dated January 2015 and specifically allows other than the traditional conical stud:

[LAWS]Stud/cleat length shall be no greater than 21 mm (see Law 4). Studs/cleats complying with the design and dimensions shown in Figure 1 [i.e. 10mm min diameter] should give satisfactory performance. The shape and dimensions of other stud/cleat designs should be such that they present a no greater risk of injury to another player than the stud/cleat shown in figure 1. Tests A and B can be used to assess comparative performance. The plan view cross-sectional contact area of the stud/cleat shown in Figure 1 at a plane 2 mm below the tip is 78 mm2. Other studs/cleats having the same or greater contact area might be expected to give satisfactory performance dependent on minimum stud/cleat width in any direction. All edges of the studs/cleats should be finished smooth and rounded to a radius of not less than 1mm.[/LAWS]

I suspect that these do not have the same contact area, and the corners may have a radius of less than 1mm.

They are so novel a design that I would be surprised if (a) a regular rugby player would wish to buy them and (b) that other players would be happy if a referee allowed them.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I suspect that these do not have the same contact area, and the corners may have a radius of less than 1mm.

The corner edge is - ahem - the kicker, particularly in terms of the tests (A and B). That said, even if the rounding across the edge were on the order of 1 mm, AND the surface area were a full 78 mm^2, on a grazing contact there is (roughly, picking a figure out of the air) a 50-50 chance of it being the equivalent of a sub-5 mm stud.

Not on my patch/pitch!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I made someone change their studs last week - which I haven't done for a while.

The player gave me a little bit of 'but I've played in these for the last five weeks, and no other ref minded'

I got the captain over to tell him, and the coach came as well, huffing and puffing and rolling his eyes about the fuss of it all .... and what size feet did he have.

Then, coach asked the player to lift his boot so he could actually have a look at the studs and
'bloody hell, no he's right, mate, I see what he means - you can't play in those!'

:)

(They were exceeding narrow - about 2-3mm!)

Happily the studs were replaceable and he came over before the kick off to show me the same boots with a complete set of new studs.

Last edited:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Would it be worth and enquiry of New Balance to see if they think they are OK for rugby?

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
seeing at least one set of these every week at the moment, and yes I get the same "the ref said it was ok last week"

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
seeing at least one set of these every week at the moment, and yes I get the same "the ref said it was ok last week"

I love this excuse. When reffing int eh UK a long time ago had the same team 2 weekends in a row. Both times I got the same response. Second time, even his skipper said words to the effect: "You fool, this is the ref from last week". So I put no store in the "ref last week allowed us to...." excuse.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I love this excuse. When reffing int eh UK a long time ago had the same team 2 weekends in a row. Both times I got the same response. Second time, even his skipper said words to the effect: "You fool, this is the ref from last week". So I put no store in the "ref last week allowed us to...." excuse.

A bit off topic but I also had a similar example about swearing. I warned the captain about excessive swearing from his team, to which his reply was I've never been warned for that before. Interesting thinks me, as I refereed your team 2 weeks ago when you were also captain, warned AND penalised you for this.