Student Refs?

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Gents!

Just wondering if there are any student referees out there on this site? I know of one so far.. and just wondering if there were any others?

Tah Then

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This may be the most rugby-related thing to ever be posted in the Non-Rugby talk section ;)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm a student of life. Does that count?

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Gents!

Just wondering if there are any student referees out there on this site? I know of one so far.. and just wondering if there were any others?

Tah Then

Is that "Referees who happen to be students?"

We [East Mids that is] have several of those.

I think you're the only one on this forum though. Most people your age seem to be on Facebook 24x7..

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I do know that Bristol University have their own referee society which is full of students

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I used to be but then got old.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I understand that Davet is a student, but seems to be knuckling down to his studies as he hasn't logged on for months.

ScarletAl certainly was a student, but I think he graduated a few months ago.

I'm sure there will be others.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm at uni at the moment. Not sure if that helps?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
We have a L9 Portsmouth Uni student in our Society, and as well as Womble;s Bristol, Durham and Noirthumbria have their own Uni Refs Societies.

But I am not aware of other student referees on this Forum.

16-24 year olds are a target recruitment group for RFU and we tried to set up a Solent Students Refs Society across Portsmouth, Southampton, Solent and Winchester Unis - it sparked, spluttered and died as the 3 year rotation of members gave it no continuity.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I understand that Davet is a student, but seems to be knuckling down to his studies as he hasn't logged on for months.

ScarletAl certainly was a student, but I think he graduated a few months ago.

I'm sure there will be others.

DaveT is a very mature student - hopefully he will graduate before he retires, but he has a free bus pass already I think !

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
We have a L9 Portsmouth Uni student in our Society, and as well as Womble;s Bristol, Durham and Noirthumbria have their own Uni Refs Societies.

But I am not aware of other student referees on this Forum.

16-24 year olds are a target recruitment group for RFU and we tried to set up a Solent Students Refs Society across Portsmouth, Southampton, Solent and Winchester Unis - it sparked, spluttered and died as the 3 year rotation of members gave it no continuity.

Durham Uni Refs Society is a veritable production line. John Meredith (Champ), me (Nat 1 with some B&I), Fergus Kirby (Nat 1), Veryan Boscawen (Nat 2) all got onto Panel within a few years of graduating.

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
At Cambridge we currently have two student referees who are active.

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Hi :p

Unless you mean uni student... I'm a sixth former.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Gents!

Tah Then

Thanks for outing me! Your dad has my number if you want to chat about things/add me on Facebook or whatever. :)

Is that "Referees who happen to be students?"

We [East Mids that is] have several of those.

I think you're the only one on this forum though. Most people your age seem to be on Facebook 24x7..

I guess I just added to the stereotype.

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Another pesky student here

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Oxford Univeristy has it's own student referee society that services most of its inter-college games - and another Uni in the city has started requesting Oxf Uni's referees because, like many societies, the traditional county society struggles with availability midweek.

What recrtuitment strategies do traditional societies have in place in order to work with student societies and encourage membership?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
What recrtuitment strategies do traditional societies have in place in order to work with student societies and encourage membership?

As I think you know Wert, the recruitment area in general is one that has frustrated me for quite a few year, and you and others were involved in our RFU supported efforts to start a Solent Unis Refs Society.

Many Societies are struggling to keep up with basic recruitment with limited volunteers.

I keep asking for a central RFU campaign, into which Societies, Clubs, Unis, Colleges, and Schools can all connect. We need a central hub to push this.

If I had the time I would write a draft strategy but work pressures are too high currently. I recall RM in D&W did a terrific strategy paper a few years ago.

Maybe this Forum could contribute best practice, what has worked, etc to get a national campaign considered.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
my club association has had a pretty good relationship with London, and likewise with Essex before it was disbanded. if i get the time over the Xmas period (between drinking, job applications and darts training) i might draft a page or two on how we've worked together.

it's been a deeply flawed model (hindsight being a wonderful thing), but generally has worked pretty well and i've now got two regular and one occasional ref with the society with another to join for next season. plus two more that i'm pretty hopeful on.