Study by French Union reveals rugby's most dangerous positions

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
French (clickable) injury study by position :

:france: A three-year study into French rugby union injuries determines which are the safest and most dangerous positions to play. The study of the French national league, the Top 14, commissioned by LNR (Ligue Nationale de Rugby) and FFR (Fédération Française de Rugby) was released last week.

JSAK

Referee, Old Boy, youth coach in Alaska
Post Likes
And that's why at 60 I'm a winger... :smile: Thanks for posting this.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Interesting. I have expected LHPs to get fewer neck injuries than THPs. I always knew that real men played in the front row mind.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I wouldn't know, I played #11 ; in my playing days Wingers had to front up in tackles too. Maybe Dan Cottrell might like to shed some more light on the matter ; his coaching newsletter has this to say about comparisons between both positions. Tight-heads tend to be more powerful, more technical, better scrummagers, apparently.
I think the answer lies in the fact the scrum only accounts for 2.4% of all injuries in the study, while the tackle accounts for a whopping 46.6% of the injuries. It would seem Loose head props are being injured more in open play. Perhaps it is karma for all the disruption loosies cause in the set piece.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
... Perhaps it is karma for all the disruption loosies cause in the set piece.
What thing to say. In my day we just scrummaged straight and true :biggrin: to give our hooker a chance to hook. It was them nastly tight heads that caused all the disruption.