Sunblock

Bungle

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Practical question - and one for only this time of year. I was doing 7s yesterday and as per, the sun comes out which makes it most enjoyable for everyone.

However, for us folically challenged refs, it always raises the question of effective sun protection on the head. In the past when I've slapped on lotion it just sweats off and straight into the eyes which stings and impedes your vision (no change there then...)

So...does anyone have any recommendations for a good sun block that doesn't sweat off?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
a) use the John MacEnroe / Bjorn Borg sweatband
b) just wear a baseball cap instead
c) you need waterproof baby gloop rather than easy-on adult stuff. Anything marketed for tiny infants

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
big hat for big head?

Last edited:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
The spray on Banana Boat sport sunscreen is very good. I've never had a problemn with it running into the eyes. Plus as a factor 50, never burnt with it on either.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
a) use the John MacEnroe / Bjorn Borg sweatband
b) just wear a baseball cap instead
c) you need waterproof baby gloop rather than easy-on adult stuff. Anything marketed for tiny infants

a) hurrumph - unacceptable
b) double hurrumph - court martial offence whilst on the pitch
c) good call

a line of vaseline over forehead across top of eyebrows will keep sweat out of your eyes, and Banana Boat sunscreen sounds good !

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The spray on Banana Boat sport sunscreen is very good. I've never had a problem with it running into the eyes. Plus as a factor 50, never burnt with it on either.

I have that, brilliant stuff, but if you spray it onto your hands and then rub it through your (disappearing) hair (as opposed to spraying it straight onto your bonce) remember to wash your hands.

Sevens the other week, first match wiped my eye, sun screen now in my eye off my hands, couldn't see properly out of that eye for the whole half. Lucky it was only 7 minutes.

PS: ref: for Deeps, this is factor fearnought.

Last edited:

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
P20. Used it in South Africa and despite being nominally factor 20, it was impossible to get a tan with it. As PhilE says, spray onto hands and rub on. Other areas, spray on and rub over to ensure it's all covered.

Simonsky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Expensive and ineffective hair transplant?

Nothing in refs protocol about carrying parasol

Bungle

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Cheers lads and thanks for the practical advice re best brands.

I am glad someone mentioned caps, hats and other headgear, if only to get a rise out of Simon Thomas.....

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Expensive and ineffective hair transplant?

Nothing in refs protocol about carrying parasol

Love to see the reaction at Coney Hill, Matson or Gordon League when you run out with one !

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
P20. Used it in South Africa and despite being nominally factor 20, it was impossible to get a tan with it. As PhilE says, spray onto hands and rub on. Other areas, spray on and rub over to ensure it's all covered.

They've recently come out with a new version, it doesn't smell or stain clothes anymore and is a much more effective way of getting a tan. Just one point of note, never use it the day after a long haul flight, it stings!

Or be like me, go on holiday a lot, get a good base tan and then you don't need it in Britain!

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
unless trying to avoid skin cancer of course.