Sunshine Coast Player Dies

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A very sombre day for rugby league, with the death of James Ackerman - seriously injured whilst playing in a Queensland Cup game on the weekend.

To make this incident even more tragic, a friend of mine who referees but was at the game in a non-official capacity believed the tackle which fatally injured James was a shoulder charged - this has also been mentioned by some media sources.

Rightly so the NRL is giving counselling to all players and officials involved in the match.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-...n-hospital-rugby-league-tackle-injury/6563864

Due to the extremely sensitive nature of the incident, the QRL is opting to delay reviewing the tackle.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...d-james-ackerman/story-fnn8dlfs-1227408692666

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Shocking news. My heart goes out to the devastated family.

If it was truly caused by a shoulder charge then this is a reminder why rugby referees need to be vigilant with dealing with them severely. Hopefully RL will come down harder on them. I know they are supposedly illegal in RL now, but from what I see on TV and locally you wouldn't know it.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Shocking news. My heart goes out to the devastated family.

If it was truly caused by a shoulder charge then this is a reminder why rugby referees need to be vigilant with dealing with them severely. Hopefully RL will come down harder on them. I know they are supposedly illegal in RL now, but from what I see on TV and locally you wouldn't know it.

I've seen very few shoulder charges in RL this year, Menace, although admittedly we have a much more specific criteria than union. In league, there are plenty of no arms tackles that aren't shoulder charges because a shoulder charge is defined as

[LAWS]a defender, without attempting to tackle, grab or hold the ball-carrier (or any opposing player) using the arms or hands, makes direct physical contact with the shoulder or the upper arm (tucked into the side).[/LAWS]

Many times in a RL game you will see what we deem to be "collisions" which are front on but do not fulfill the shoulder charge criteria.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I read this over the weekend, very sad news.

Due to the extremely sensitive nature of the incident, the QRL is opting to delay reviewing the tackle.

I understand it is a sensitive time, but what happens if someone else gets injured in the meantime. Delaying doesn't really help anyone.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I understand it is a sensitive time, but what happens if someone else gets injured in the meantime. Delaying doesn't really help anyone.
Exactly. What are they gaining by putting off the inevitable?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As posted in the update, they have reviewed the tackle and it has been referred straight to the judiciary (i.e. it is too difficult to grade the tackle).
The QRL has not released the charge, but based upon info I have heard, it is a shoulder charge he has been charged with, but due to the extreme circumstances have not graded the shoulder charge.

So they are no longer delaying admitting the tackle is illegal, they are now delaying when his hearing will be.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I have no wish to hang the guy, but if an act of foul play has this kind of result, will the polis likely get involved?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I'd expect both police and coroner investigation.

If any crime has been committed, its by those who run the game & have allowed the game to progress to the point that these " car crashes" occur routinely, albeit without this ( thankfully rare) fatality ending.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did you see in the news report that Ackerman's parents have called Molo to console him? As a fellow human, I am not even in their league. God bless them.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Did you see in the news report that Ackerman's parents have called Molo to console him? As a fellow human, I am not even in their league. God bless them.

They were saying on The Footy Show (a RL panel show) last night that the referee and Ackerman were close friends too

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I've seen very few shoulder charges in RL this year, Menace, although admittedly we have a much more specific criteria than union. In league, there are plenty of no arms tackles that aren't shoulder charges because a shoulder charge is defined as

[LAWS]a defender, without attempting to tackle, grab or hold the ball-carrier (or any opposing player) using the arms or hands, makes direct physical contact with the shoulder or the upper arm (tucked into the side).[/LAWS]

Many times in a RL game you will see what we deem to be "collisions" which are front on but do not fulfill the shoulder charge criteria.
Is this legal ?
http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/2015/07/this-guy-did-not-see-this-big-hit.html

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
legal for me in union to, he had his arm out to tackle but the impact and the other tackler thake the ball carrier domn