switching on

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I had a pretty flat game yesterday. The final whistle couldn't come soon enough. To a large degree I put it down to having been in a 90 minute job interview in the morning. It wasn't on my mind during the game but had been fairly mentally draining.

I've experienced this before - for example, if I ref a junior game in the morning I have trouble switching on for the more senior afternoon game.

Does anyone have any techniques to overcome this?

Gareth-Lee Smith

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I'll be interested to view the responses to this question. I have to say personally (though this won't be helpful to you) that I don't have any techniques, it just clicks before I get out there. It always fascinates me that people go through routines to get themselves focused.

I suppose the best (though least practical solution) is to make sure that your game is only thing which falls on that particular day. Otherwise I guess it's bound to happen. Perhaps trying to get some shut-eye between events?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I'd ask if you have any problems "switching on" normally for your first game of the day.

What your story sounds like is mental fatigue, and that can be tricky to surmount. I liked GLS' suggestion of a nap, if that's at all feasible. Other than that, I don't really know.

Like GLS, I don't have any particular routine for switching on!

Chris Picard

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Right now, I listen to Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory on an IPod while doing warm-ups. Basically, I find an album and listen to it all season. Under no circumstances, do I listen to the album for any other reason.

I did this in school, for each particular subject, I would pick some sort of music. I would do all of my studying to that artist and then once finals rolled around, I would associate the music with the subject. This worked for refereeing also. Changing the music each season with particular law changes helps me. When I study the laws, I listen to the music for the season. Then prior to each match, I listen and turn my focus to the task at hand.

Not sure if it will work for you.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks chaps - I'll try the music therapy (maybe not Linkin Park, though :) ).

To a lesser extent the same thing happens to me after 1/2 time and I have to focus hard to get my mojo back.

Am I Robinson Crusoe with this one? Maybe I need to see a shrink! :eek:

oxped

Referees in England
Post Likes
I sometimes have the same problem because I often have to work on a Saturday morning and can find it hard to get my mind focused. As yet I have been unable to work out the solution!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I go back to the question: focus, or fatigue?

Because the solution is different. I always struggle with my second game of the day, and part of that is the difficulty of building back up after coming down after a game - and a good chunk of that is chemical reaction to the release of adrenaline that you have during a game.

If it's fatigue, then you may need to work something else out, and I'm short of ideas there!

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
interesting thred ...

re: music .. i know a few refs who use this method. One guy who is flying up the charts uses it to the extent that he doesnt like to be interrupted while 'psyching himself up'. Players use it as well, some teams have ghetto blasters to psyche themselves up.

i think i may have suffered from mental fatigue or over use of adrenaline (or whatever) last season.
I passed my driving test in Nov 2006 and so had lessons etc on Sats ... and after test i learnt to drive !! I found it very taxing mentally and stressful and this may have affected my reffing. I'd like to think it didnt but ... maybe it did.
As regards 2 matches in one day and switching on for the 2nd more 'important' match ... i find this very difficult but positive relaxation ideas help, i find.
I tell myself: "I am fit enough, i am good enough, i can do it " etc

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I always find that if I want to be there - want to ref that game, that I can focus. If I feel off colour, guilty abot some family thing I'm missing, or just not happy with the game then its harder to get up for it.

Enthusiasm is the key - and I do find that if I get myself into a state of mind where I can find something to look forward to about the game then I cope better. What that might be varies from day to day, game to game - but if I try hard ..... then I don't always find it. But....

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I just got a CD of mental strategy techniques for approaching the "Big Race" (it was designed for runners) but it parallels with the "Big Game" for rugby.

Do you use any "triggers" when you referee? As soon as I get into the Redzone (22m) I make a point of increasing the intensity to ensure that I don't balls-up when it counts. I also try to split the games into quarters, so that I have objectives for each 20mins, and try to concentrate on improving them.

Do you have a chance to talk to pro-golfers about their "course management"? They seldom look at the whole 18 holes, but rather break the course down into 6 sets of 3 holes and make goals for each stage. The same could apply to a match.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Whether playing or officiating, it is crucial you are mentally prepared, as well as physically. If lacking in either your performance is likely to suffer.

Natural enthusiasm and love of the game are not always enough. You need motivation, confidence and set yourself a series of goals to achieve.

Some key areas to work on are relaxation & reducing nerves, imagery & visualisation techniques, and better concentration.

For those who want to really get into it some reference materials at :

http://www.mindtools.com/page11.html

http://www.sportspsychologist.co.uk/othersportstips.html

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/psychology.htm

http://courses.essex.ac.uk/bs/sportpsy/

http://www.eis2win.co.uk/gen/supp_whatis_spopsych.aspx

http://www.psychnet-uk.com/sports_psychology/sports_psychology.htm

mkottke

Referees in America
Post Likes
I sit off to the side and do yoga and a couple times TiaChi, while listening to very highpaced and mindnumbing music! I find this helps me escape, then I start thinking about different penalty scenarios and how I would RC the cheats. Then I work my myself down to a YC and continue down the ladder until I would be talking the players out of the penalty.

I like Bryans advice about dividing the match into sections and prepare for them. Also, the concept of triggers/changing the tempo when I get into the red zones.

Everybody is different and what works for one might not work for another.
Have you tried beer? A shot of whiskey? A harlott?

ONON-
Mark

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
For me, visualisation is the key. I always have a more competent game if I take the trouble to visualise key areas of play ahead of time, and in the immediate lead-up to the game- the tackle, the third man in, how he might get his hands to the ball, ball taken off the ground, ball just held down on the ground by the 3rd man; the call to ruck. Ditto for scrum binding and the indicators of poor technique or cheating. If for any reason I don't take adequate trouble on this aspect, it badly affects the way I perform and I always regret it. Sadly, the thing that most commonly distracts me from my mental preparation is the presence of an assessor.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Sadly, the thing that most commonly distracts me from my mental preparation is the presence of an assessor.
What is the assessor doing getting in the way while you are mentally preparing?

Before the game he should make himself known, and agree how/when to have the after match chat. Otherwise he should let you get on with your own pre-match routines.

Or are you saying that merely knowing an assessor is there puts you off before/during? They say familiarity breeds contempt - perhaps that is going too far, but I'm afraid you do need to get used to it.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Get yourself a copy of "Mind Games" written by Jeff Grout & Sarah Perrin

In a word... Brilliant:bday: