Tackle and Tackle Assist Questions

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hey,

So I was just wondering about a few things:

First, where in the law book does it mention the proper way a tackle should occur? I read over the tackle section in hopes of seeing those infamous words some coaches like to throw around "no attempt to wrap" but I saw nothing of the sort.

Second, what exactly is a "tackle assist"? When I recently took the referee course at my local ref. society, I was taught a tackle assist is someone who aids a teammate who took the role of "tackler", and may help cause a tackle occur; but the part they explained about tackle assist that confused me was that a tackle assist may help cause the tackle to occur by grabbing an opponent ball carrier by their "upper body area" or shoulders and forcing them to ground without any intent of wrapping. Can anyone clarify these notions for me?

Thanks,
-Jon

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It doesn't say in the laws how to make a tackle. That is a coaching job.
However it does say under law 10 what is an illegal tackle situation.

For instance a no arms tackle you refer to:

[LAWS](g) Dangerous charging. A player must not charge or knock down an opponent carrying the
ball without trying to grasp that player.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

A tackler is a person who holds a ball carrier and goes to ground in the process.
A tackle assist is a person who holds a ball carrier, but does NOT go to ground himself. So it is possible to have a tackle with no tackler.

See law 15:

[LAWS]DEFINITIONS
A tackle occurs when the ball carrier is held by one or more opponents and is
brought to ground.
A ball carrier who is not held is not a tackled player and a tackle has not taken
place.
Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and bring that player to ground, and
who also go to ground, are known as tacklers.
Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and do not go to ground are not
tacklers.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hmm, interesting. So what I gather from reading over the tackle laws, and the foul play laws relevant to tackles, a player actually doesn't have to wrap an opponent to make a legal tackle? As long as that player grasps the opponent at a legal area in a legal manner, they can tackle him to ground (irregardless if they themselves go to ground with the tackled player) by using only one arm or even just one hand (i.e. without an attempt to wrap the opponent)?

Thanks,
-Jon

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Jon, the idea of the "wrap" is just a different wording of the requirement to "grasp". Because of the dynamics involved, a single arm is unlikely to stop and bring to ground a moving rugby player - but if you get a guy strong enough to do it, it's fine. You sometimes see a would-be tackler grab a receding shirt-back as the attacker moves past, and then get dragged along a bit, the ball carrier eventually getting tripped by his legs hitting the tackler's body. This is legal. even though only one arm is used. The tackler has grasped - all that is required in a grasp is fingertips, so we are not talking about a full-arm bind.

The mischief the law is intended to prevent is the shoulder barge as used in American football. When you raise an arm, the point of the shoulder recedes inwards, reducing the damage that it can cause. Any attempt to wrap (or grasp if you prefer) will make this ahppen; any failure will allow the point of the shoulder to do undesirable damage to the ball carrier in the absence of Gridiron padding -which is illegal in our game.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... what exactly is a "tackle assist"?
A "Tackler assist" is just a player who carries out a tackle but isn't a "tackler" as defined in the book. Sounds daft, but to be a "tackler" the player has to go to ground himself ie if you tackle a ball carrier, but don't go to ground yourself, you are not a "tackler" .... even though you have performed a tackle. So if you grab a ball carrier and stay on your feet, but he's actually "brought to ground" by your team mate, you are a "tackler assist". Why is the difference important? Easy - a "tackler" as defind, can get up and play the ball from any direction provided a ruck hasn't formed. If you're not a "tackler" you have to get to the ball through the gate.

Just to complicate matters "Tackler assist" or "Non-tackler" don't appear in the Definition section of the lawbook. Personally, I think they should; if anyone needs something clarified, the lawbook should make it clear.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Law 15 Definitions[LAWS]Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and bring that player to ground, and who also go to ground, are known as tacklers.
Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and do not go to ground are not tacklers.[/LAWS]

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
No such thing as a tackle assist - in Law they are "other players".

Tackle assist is descriptive in separating out thiose who were involved in the tackle from those who approach afterwards, but it is almost a distinction without a difference - the same law covers both. I say almost because the only slight difference is that an other player who was involved in the tackle must release ball and tackled player before attempting to do anything else, while one approaching from afar never had hold so dopesn't need to release... which is a pretty small point, and only helpful in ensuring that such players do get their hands off for an instant.