tackle height, no dipping and pick and go.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
As a vfery generalised apporach/doisucssion without meaning to get mired in "itz roonin the game innit guvnor" type debates.... thinking about the drop the tackle height concept and with regard that AIUI the french implementation was that ball carriers cannot drop height into a tackle...

how does this affect pick and drive? Or is that Ok bedcause the head/chest never actually drops from the initial 70cm off the ground - but the head leads?

What about taking a pass when vertical, 5m out faced with a defender on the line - can't now drop to drive through the tackle with a shoulder presumably ?

Im thinking the bigger effect of this will not be on defenders but attackers?

thoughts?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Obviously we don't know
I think I saw a reference to guidelines that will address how to referee this specifically near the goal line

Long term perhaps we are heading to NFL style touch downs where you don't have to actually, um , touch down

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Touched on by the RFU rep on this weeks Good the Bad and the Rugby podcast, they are *not* currently looking to change law like in France to prohibit the ball carrier from leading with the head, but they are going to encourage them not to, so wait on them finalising the guidance to see what it looks like - but sure they specifically said that the try line pick and go would, and should still be part of the game

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In the times ye
Touched on by the RFU rep on this weeks Good the Bad and the Rugby podcast, they are *not* currently looking to change law like in France to prohibit the ball carrier from leading with the head, but they are going to encourage them not to, so wait on them finalising the guidance to see what it looks like - but sure they specifically said that the try line pick and go would, and should still be part of the game
they are going to change the laws and then say that near the goal line nothing has changed. Been there before !

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
…they are *not* currently looking to change law like in France to prohibit the ball carrier from leading with the head, but they are going to encourage them not to…

The sooner they get the guidance out the better (see previous rant on other thread about how the guidelines should have been issued with the announcement). However, encouragement will be far less effective without a law/reg change.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
how does this affect pick and drive? Or is that Ok bedcause the head/chest never actually drops from the initial 70cm off the ground - but the head leads?

What about taking a pass when vertical, 5m out faced with a defender on the line - can't now drop to drive through the tackle with a shoulder presumably ?

Im thinking the bigger effect of this will not be on defenders but attackers?

I think there will be a difference in treating ball carriers running and dropping into a tackle vs. a BC taking possession off the ground or grubber and then coming up into contact.

For the 5m play, I suspect dropping a shoulder to “expose the hard points” - I think that’s the phrase they used in one of the previous law clarifications - will be a no-no, but diving into a gap will be ok.

Will definitely impact attacker behavior will an emphasis back to the old coaching adage to “hit spaces not faces”- but again, all conjecture until we see The Guidelines.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i wonder if all this came as surprise to those charged with writing Laws and Guidelines?

And do the RFU actually have anyone in charge of writing Laws/Guideline ... which is normally a WR job

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
which then asks questions like "how do you tackle below the waist, when the waist is a foot and half behind the head which is now 6 inches form the try line?
OB-s answer of course is always available, but when sides are scoring just because they get within 10m of the try likne. I suppose one cold guarantee a scxore form one's own goal line by a succession of pick and drives that cant be tackled come to that.
Im sure somebody will come up with a solution - anybody know what they did in france?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Im not really seeing how a player with shoulders two feet wide dicvng at a gap that is a foot wide is any different to dropping a shoulder to expose any hard points. because the hard points on the defenders will be meeting the hard points of the BC.

hey ho. I do apprecisate none of us have any answers, mainly becasue the RFU dont.
FTR I dont have an issue with the general consept of dsropping tackle heights. I just agree the comms over it has been non existant and its difficult to square how it all works when part of the wider game - such as discussed here.

Thanks to all contributors in this thread.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
another interesting thing is the double tackle

In France they banned it as (AIUI) becuase
normally a double tackle is one low one high.
But now first tackler goes low (because he has to) and now a second tackler would also have to go low (because he has to) ... so there is a serious danger of the two tacklers banging their heads together.

This also has implications near the line on a pick and go. If the person picking and going is Estebeth, which one person can stop him on his own?

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
another interesting thing is the double tackle

In France they banned it as (AIUI) becuase
normally a double tackle is one low one high.
But now first tackler goes low (because he has to) and now a second tackler would also have to go low (because he has to) ... so there is a serious danger of the two tacklers banging their heads together.

This also has implications near the line on a pick and go. If the person picking and going is Estebeth, which one person can stop him on his own?
I think the reality is that there will be more tries due to more offloads and harder to defend at the goal line; but this should "benefit" both team equally.

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
As I understand it they are going to distinguish between “open play” and “other play” (or some other term). Pick and goes from the base of a ruck, scrum etc would be deemed other play )as would mauls etc). The below waist law would only apply to open play. Current law to other play. This if you pick and go from a ruck, they are not concerned with those tackles as they are generally low speed and low impact. Pass it out though and you have to be upright and tacklers tackle below the belly button (I imagine the line will be drawn).

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I can see short, stocky players being of a benefit to a team.:)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I can see short, stocky players being of a benefit to a team.:)

There is a specific thread for this topic, please feel free to carry on the conversation there.

MOD