"Sort this mess out and shut the riff-raff up"
"Yes M'Lord"

"Good oh. Pass the fruit"

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"We understand that you plebs don't like the decision we've made, so we will go through with it anyway."

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Yet again the RFU demonstrate poor grasp of the English language:

We, like the French, used the term “waist and below”; this has caused misunderstanding and confusion. We would now like the game to help us define how we describe a lower tackle height to reflect what the research is telling us in a way that is understood by all. Consequently, the risk of head injuries should be reduced if tackling below that optimum height.

They are attempting to legislate the maximum tackle height, not the optimum tackle height. The current maximum tackle height is the line of the shoulders... I hope they are not saying that was previously considered to be the optimum/favourable tackle height.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I have to say, I'm trying to be positive about this while many of my rugby friends are being fairly negative, but the poor choice of words by the RFU has really screwed up the discussion at all levels (grassroots, elite level, the press) IMHO.

RFU are proposing to lower the maximum tackle height, but many have read this as everyone needs to lower their tackle height, because that's what the RFU actually said... NO, only high tackles need to be lowered!!!

RFU are not saying tackles around the knees should lower to the ankles, or tackles around the waist should lower to the knees. There are many players, especially at grass roots, that will not have to change their tackle technique at all!!!

So much discussion about forcing players to tackle around the knees, with greater risk of concussion from knee-to-head... lowering the maximum tackle height does not mean you must tackle around the knees or ankles!!!!!!!!!

/rant over... sorry, I had to get that out.

Back to some rational discussion, moving the maximum tackle height to the sternum is pretty much the same as age-grade "no contact above the armpits", which IMHO works very well... age grade games are competitive and physical, with no shots to the neck area or head, and seat belts tackles are removed from the game, which is no great loss and of no subsequent detriment to the game from my perspective.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
spot on stu. agree entirely.

Its all been a mixture of poor comms and a lot of gammonati-style reactions