Tackling in the air or dangerous play?

dfobrien

Post Likes
Agreed, same nonsense all over again. And the Sinckler Lions penalty was also nonsense. Firstly, he didn’t have to jump; in fact he has a habit of jumping slightly to collect a pass. But secondly, if that ruling is correct, then it will be impossible for the defending side to prevent a try from a play close to their line. All the attacker has to do is jump to collect the pass. If the defender tackles him it‘s a penalty try, and if he doesn’t it‘s a try.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The logical place to end up is to make it illegal to jump.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Now I've watched the clip its pretty clear the player jumped after/as they were catching the ball, not to take the ball and then raised their knee into the oppo player. A bolted on example of 9.11 if I'd seen one.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So its illegal to jump into/over a tackle and its illegal to tackle a player who has jumped into/over a tackle? 🤔

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So its illegal to jump into/over a tackle and its illegal to tackle a player who has jumped into/over a tackle? 🤔
If only other elements of the game were so clear!

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I am not commenting on whether it should have been a penalty or not or whether to X or S, but the TMO and ref did consider the original offside and commented that he started onside, as well as stating that the foul play would overrule as two separate statements. You can also hear the Ref saying to the TMO that he thought he jumped to catch the ball and was not jumping into the tackle. You have to listen for the Ref as the commentators are talking over him, but if you can dial out their noise you can hear it.
Ugo Monye makes his statement about having to jump to catch it at the very beginning before the replays I sense that they had a change of heart later as they discuss that there was nothing that the S12 could do to change the outcome.
Based on the above I understand how they got to the decision they did.

On a Saturday afternoon with no camera it could depend on exactly where the ref is standing as from one angle he is clearly jumping to catch a ball and then is taken out in the air, from another angle he is jumping, having control of the ball, so is jumping into the tackle, from the initial comment the ref could not see where first contact with the ball was as he was not sure if the ball came of white or black.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
The logical place to end up is to make it illegal to jump.
Or referees apply some common sense (avoiding the need to update the Laws) 🤷‍♂️

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Or referees apply some common sense (avoiding the need to update the Laws) 🤷‍♂️
The problem with common sense - the bit that's sense isn't very common, and most of what's common makes very little sense.

For as long as coaches and players will want to know how they'll be reffed next week, we need to work on agreement.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I am not commenting on whether it should have been a penalty or not or whether to X or S, but the TMO and ref did consider the original offside and commented that he started onside, as well as stating that the foul play would overrule as two separate statements. You can also hear the Ref saying to the TMO that he thought he jumped to catch the ball and was not jumping into the tackle. You have to listen for the Ref as the commentators are talking over him, but if you can dial out their noise you can hear it.
Ugo Monye makes his statement about having to jump to catch it at the very beginning before the replays I sense that they had a change of heart later as they discuss that there was nothing that the S12 could do to change the outcome.
Based on the above I understand how they got to the decision they did.

On a Saturday afternoon with no camera it could depend on exactly where the ref is standing as from one angle he is clearly jumping to catch a ball and then is taken out in the air, from another angle he is jumping, having control of the ball, so is jumping into the tackle, from the initial comment the ref could not see where first contact with the ball was as he was not sure if the ball came of white or black.
To me it's not really about who is right but the law makers facing up to the fact that this is dangerous tactic, jumping with high lateral speed, and should be stopped, before someone is seriously injured.

NO GOOD SAYING YOU WERE IN THE RIGHT WHEN YOU ARE IN A WHEELCHAIR

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
To me it's not really about who is right but the law makers facing up to the fact that this is dangerous tactic, jumping with high lateral speed, and should be stopped, before someone is seriously injured.

NO GOOD SAYING YOU WERE IN THE RIGHT WHEN YOU ARE IN A WHEELCHAIR
You are right in that the only way to remove that risk is to stop the actions that lead to the risk. Unfortunately we live in a society that is risk aware enough to recognise that there is a danger, but not risk averse enough to mitigate the risk out completely if there is an economic argument to allow the risk to remain. In this case the economic benefit comes from the perception that the game might become less attractive if the practice of jumping for a ball is banned (kick or pass, vertical or with a lateral movement included).
The changes to laws and regulations across all sports are frequently driven by a reaction to a high profile incident, Formula 1 and the "Halo" as an example. The Head Injury protection protocols currently in place are a result of the issues raised by various people suffering in the public eye and taking action against the various bodies. Sadly it is likely to need an incident in a high level televised game where a player is paralysed to make the risk profile one that action will be taken on, it is unlikely to happen due to incidents on the council park pitch. I am not suggesting that this is right, it is just how it currently is. I would not be surprised, if it is revealed at some point in the future, that there has been a cost analysis on just this type of injury.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Are there lots of folk hurt in AFL at top, middle and lower levels? It (jumping, laterally, recklessly or otherwise) seems to be very much to be part and parcel of their game?

I know I should do my own research but can't be arsed. How do they referee it?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Are there lots of folk hurt in AFL at top, middle and lower levels? It (jumping, laterally, recklessly or otherwise) seems to be very much to be part and parcel of their game?

I know I should do my own research but can't be arsed. How do they referee it?

to the best of my knowledge, all of these marks were legal then and would be today.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

to the best of my knowledge, all of these marks were legal then and would be today.

I haven't watched it all, but it's impressive/interesting that in many examples the player quickly gets back up off the floor with very little fuss... I wonder if AFC players look at rugby players the same way that we look at soccer players with regard to "theatrics"?

Nick Riewoldt at 12:50 is not getting straight up in a rugby game!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I haven't watched it all, but it's impressive/interesting that in many examples the player quickly gets back up off the floor with very little fuss... I wonder if AFC players look at rugby players the same way that we look at soccer players with regard to "theatrics"?

Maybe AFL players have no brains to concuss ;-)

Joking aside ... I concur.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

The jumpers also seem to make a concerted effort to keep their boots away from the oppo, and also seem to have little regard for putting themselves in harms way (toppling on their head etc.) They also seem pretty adept at getting knees on shoulders and launching up.