Talking Cobblers

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
What do we think about a referee who uses two languages on the pitch in an International?

Mr Rolland switched repeatedly in today's match. Preventive to the French was in French and to the English in English... usually.

Very clever no doubt, but is it consistent?
Does it help or does it confuse?

Should it not always be in English?

Or is it a load of cobblers?

:)

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
I noticed on a couple of occassions he was telling England to release in French (I think...).

I know we've done this one to death in the past, but consistency is key. If both sets of players know that he'll be communicating in English then it's much easier. Likewise he could do it in French, but English is a more international language. By all means manage the players individually in their own language (if you know it).

You watch the Currie Cup and the referees frerquently speak in Afrikaans, but the players are expecting it, and when he has to talk to a player, it often reverts to English.

R

Ricampbell

I think the teams agree beforehand the language that they want the referee to use, if there is an option. I know France (Or at least there club sides) have asked Spreaders not to speak French as they feel his language isn't quite upto speed and it confuses them but Rolland is fluent so I guess they might ask him to. But if it came to an argument the official IRB language is English so that is what they would have to use.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My observation on Currie Cup matches is that referees use English for game control, but Afrikaans when giving explanations or bollockings. Even players like Os du Randt, who are not comfortable in English, still need to recognise certain set phrases under game pressure.

There should be a set IRB phrase book that all international players are familiar with - and it would have to be in English.

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
I reffed two French canadian teams last November and gave some of the instructions in French, but mosti n English as I didn't know all of the terms. Both captains said that they could cope with all English, but thought it was a nice gesture on my part to use some of my (rather rusty) French.

This was a sevens match, and a good tempered match, so it was all a bit of fun. I think if I was refereeing in France I would probably stick to English because they might find that less distracting than some Anglo-Yank trying to dig up his French knowledge from 15 years ago!