Talking myself hoarse

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
From today. Under 16 age group.

I had a sore throat, but kept sucking throat sweets which made a difference.

I realised after the first 40 minutes how much a ref talks to and advises the players, particularly at the breakdown.

I don't recall it always being like this in the 1970's.

When did it start to change and why?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Not sure, but at the top level it's moving back the other way. Real focus on avoiding white noise and passing responsibility for compliance back to players. It had got to the stage where players were waiting for a ref to call roll away before moving, meaning the quality of ball was compromised throughout. There was a study done a while back about how often a referee spoke during downtime and the number of breakdowns where the ball was quickly available. I forget the details of how they defined "quick" but there was a clear inverse relationship.
I now say VERY little when the ball is live, but when I do it almost always gets an instant response as the players know I mean it.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Not sure, but at the top level it's moving back the other way. Real focus on avoiding white noise and passing responsibility for compliance back to players. It had got to the stage where players were waiting for a ref to call roll away before moving, meaning the quality of ball was compromised throughout.

There was a study done a while back about how often a referee spoke during downtime and the number of breakdowns where the ball was quickly available. I forget the details of how they defined "quick" but there was a clear inverse relationship.

I now say VERY little when the ball is live, but when I do it almost always gets an instant response as the players know I mean it.

My last assessor praised me on this very point, better players help of course, and most u16s bring a slightly different challenge as some things are still naive play requiring ref assistance.

Its interesting to observe refereeing trends changing though