Taniela Tupou cited

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Video on RA Website: https://www.rugby.com.au/news/brumb...-cited-after-red-card-level-foul-play-2022320

While I think that head contact was made during the clean out I've got two issues with this patch of play:
- Its clear the Brumbies player was never in a realistic position to jackle for this ball and support their body weight to effect a legal turnover. This probably leads to a high impact attempt at a clean out by Red 3 as grasping and moving a player who is not supporting their weight is bloody hard work. Maybe if Super Rugby/WR cleaned up jacklers going to ground and slowing the ball we might see less of these high impact clean outs. I know that Tupou is known for them, but there is no legitimate way the Brumbies bloke could get that ball and stay on his feet IMO.
- Secondly how the actual f*** did the referee not see that in real time and deal with either the player off their feet or R3 charging in? First image showing the positioning of the ref (in the pocket) at the time of contact and the second shows where R3 has come from (straight past the referee).
No wonder refereeing is such a contentious issue when we see this sort of miss in the upper levels.

fsdsddsf.JPG

1647996866051.png

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
As far as I can see, the White 1 tackles and rolls away.
White 3 is off feet but is rolled away by a Red player. We can argue that Red collapsed the ruck, but life is too short to stuff mushrooms. Play on.
The White 7 is off feet, but is not actually preventing the Red 7 playing the ball, So I would not penalize him.
Had he reached out and put his hand on the ball, I would.
The ball is possibly already out, depending on whether you are a rubber band or a seagull deposit type of ref.
Red player charges in, leads with the shoulder and never binds.
The White 1, having got to his feet, protests about the hit.

To me, it is a clear red.
Why didn't the TMO call out possible foul play and review it live?
I know refs at this level review and reflect on all their matches, and I also know they are much better referees than I am, I suspect he will wonder how he missed that.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Apparently, the citing committee have said they cannot see clear contact with the head, therefore it does not meet the level of a Red.

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
To me, I don’t see clear contact with the head. Off his feet - yes, reckless - yes. Penalty, yellow for me.

As an aside I’m not rally sure what R7 is doing. Ball is lost already, perhaps he’s having a breather, whilst looking like he’s involved?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
To me, I don’t see clear contact with the head. Off his feet - yes, reckless - yes. Penalty, yellow for me.

As an aside I’m not rally sure what R7 is doing. Ball is lost already, perhaps he’s having a breather, whilst looking like he’s involved?

He's the Official Ruck Inspector. Every team has one :ROFLMAO:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Mipper, that was the reasoning of the citing committee, they did not see clear and obvious contact with the head. Which I suppose is correct for professional players.

But when the players need to go to work in the morning, and you do not have a replay, charging in, no arms, leading with the shoulder, contact close to the head. Would an assessor mark the ref down for giving a red?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Mipper, that was the reasoning of the citing committee, they did not see clear and obvious contact with the head. Which I suppose is correct for professional players.

But when the players need to go to work in the morning, and you do not have a replay, charging in, no arms, leading with the shoulder, contact close to the head. Would an assessor mark the ref down for giving a red?
If the referee and the assessor saw the incident differently, then the assessor's report should reflect that difference of opinion. The assessor is not an all-seeing god.

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10

No, probably not.
My view was simply that I didn’t see it as Red on the first viewing. That’s all.