crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So here are some key points from it

-----
- they were tasked to simplify
- they weren't allowed to change intention of the law
- but they did identify and remove anomalies
- sometimes they had to ask for clarifications to understand what the intention of the Law was

It's not perfect
It will be revised in the 2019 Law book out in Jan

He was working on a document to submit to World Rugby listing

- where the 2018 Laws were probably a bit off the mark from what it was in 2017

- things we did put in the law book that changed the intention of the law or the interpretation or the reading of the law

But overall they are really proud of the product

---------

Fair enough
I am looking forward to the 2019 book. In my table of differences I have annotated each one with my prediction as to which will persist in 2019 and which will be changed to go back to the 2017 Law. It will be fun to see how close I get

Last edited:

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Have you sent your document to World Rugby directly?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No I assumed that as Tappe has it that's good enough .

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So here are some key points from it

-----
- they were tasked to simplify
- they weren't allowed to change intention of the law
- but they did identify and remove anomalies
- sometimes they had to ask for clarifications to understand what the intention of the Law was

It's not perfect
It will be revised in the 2019 Law book out in Jan

He was working on a document to submit to World Rugby listing

- where the 2018 Laws were probably a bit off the mark from what it was in 2017

- things we did put in the law book that changed the intention of the law or the interpretation or the reading of the law

But overall they are really proud of the product

---------

Fair enough
I am looking forward to the 2019 book. In my table of differences I have annotated each one with my prediction as to which will persist in 2019 and which will be changed to go back to the 2017 Law. It will be fun to see how close I get

Can we now end the nonsense.

If they are proud of the book they must have low standards. If they worded things badly enough (which it is clear they did) to create a impression of changes where none were intended, it was poor .

As some of us said, all along:

1: THERE ARE NO CHANGES

2: Where there appears to a change then refer to point one and interpret in line with 2017.

What happens in 2019 if for the future.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did you actually listen to it?

Tappe is working on a document listing all the changes...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Did you actually listen to it?

Tappe is working on a document listing all the unintended changes...

Fixed that for you*

For the avoidance of doubt and to ensure the integrity of a quote is maintained, I need to point out that I have added a word to the quote. I did this in the full and certain knowledge that by putting it in a different colour, and by posting it as the very next post after the original (so that you can see both the original and the quote of the quote on the same page), that most people will realise it has been added, especially when accompanied by a FTFY. :sarc:

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
progress!! we agree that there are changes !! At last :)

We can only guess which were accidental and which were intentional -- on my table I have made that guess for each one, along with my prediction of which will be corrected (some - but not all - of the accidental ones)

(Aside -- I think the Forum should ban the FTFY thing . I know you didn't mean anything sinister by doing it - but quotes are important : I think that the text inside a Quote Box should always be exactly what the person said)

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

We can only guess which were accidental and which were intentional -- on my table I have made that guess for each one, along with my prediction of which will be corrected (some - but not all - of the accidental ones)

FFS...you yourself quoted Tappe as saying they weren't allowed to change the intention of the law. So why would there be any intentional changes :shrug:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
FFS...you yourself quoted Tappe as saying they weren't allowed to change the intention of the law. So why would there be any intentional changes :shrug:

when you remove an anomaly, or when you settle an ambiguity one way or another, that's an intentional change.

but for others, we can only speculate. But here's two examples, where I think I can see why

- the hand-off with excessive force, I think is due to ongoing discomfort about the hand off in rugby. I think the PTB are increasingly uncomfortable about hand-offs because of head contact (they don't sit well with the focus on high tackles) and eye contact (we know about that). So they are tinkering with the laws here. In time I think we will have a no hand off above the shoulder law. They are edging us along that path. Of course YMMV

- the new Law about when a tackle ends (there was never a law about how a tackle ends before) was a complete mystery to me when it came out - I couldn't see why they bothered to insert that, no one noticed it, it didn't seem necessary, and it made no difference to anything. It was very odd. But in May suddenly it was clear -- in came the Tackle With Offside Lines (replacing the mono-ruck) With a TWOL then suddenly you have to know when a tackle is over - because that's when the offside lines disappear. So that was the reason for the new Law - they already knew the TWOL was coming. Indeed I had heard the phrase myself this time last year, but I din't put two and two together.

Some of the other changes it's pretty clear why. But some, yes, are less clear. Or accidental. But while it's easy to leave something out by accident, it's hard to introduce something new accidentally.

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

(Aside -- I think the Forum should ban the FTFY thing . I know you didn't mean anything sinister by doing it - but quotes are important : I think that the text inside a Quote Box should always be exactly what the person said)

NO NO and NO again. There were not to be any changes so IF there were mistakes refer back to the original (2017 law Book) document!

It really is not difficult to understand.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
- the hand-off with excessive force, I think is due to ongoing discomfort about the hand off in rugby. I think the PTB are increasingly uncomfortable about hand-offs because of head contact (they don't sit well with the focus on high tackles) and eye contact (we know about that). So they are tinkering with the laws here. In time I think we will have a no hand off above the shoulder law. They are edging us along that path. Of course YMMV
That would essentially ban the hand-off on the classic thigh tackle since the head is all you can push on.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Oh dear.

Long ago, Hand offs were allowed but not in the book. When the book included them it was acknowledging the reality of the law.

We all know that dangerous play is outlawed and it is often left for the referee to judge what "dangerous is. The revising of the wording does not change the law it clarifies what we all should be seeing as dangerous.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
That would essentially ban the hand-off on the classic thigh tackle since the head is all you can push on.

Yes. I am speculating of course , but I just get the sense that they are uncomfortable with hand offs, but it's not obvious what to do . Time will tell ..

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Oh dear.

Long ago, Hand offs were allowed but not in the book. When the book included them it was acknowledging the reality of the law.

We all know that dangerous play is outlawed and it is often left for the referee to judge what "dangerous is. The revising of the wording does not change the law it clarifies what we all should be seeing as dangerous.

I think we are agreeing that they made an intentional change, but have slightly different ideas about the reason for it

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I expect hand offs to the face to be banned soon, or to fall under 'contact with the eye area'

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I expect hand offs to the face to be banned soon, or to fall under 'contact with the eye area'

I think so too. The tweak to the Law is just to edge us one step closer to where they want to get to. My two examples are similar b.. they know already roughly where they want to end up