Thank God! At last Nigel Owens enforces (Caterpillar) Law - Use it

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The 'use it' instruction was introduced to stop a team winding down the clock by holding the ball stationery at the back of a ruck with nothing happening.

My view is that a team bringing more players into the ruck for a tactical purpose (caterpillar or not) is, in fact, 'using it'.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The 'use it' instruction was introduced to stop a team winding down the clock by holding the ball stationery at the back of a ruck with nothing happening.

My view is that a team bringing more players into the ruck for a tactical purpose (caterpillar or not) is, in fact, 'using it'.

I think it's a blight on the game, and is one of the reasons I prefer NRL to most of the Union currently available on TV. If a scrum half can't get a box kick away from the back of the ruck without it being three body lengths long, then two things needs to happen:

Referees need to enforce the back foot law, and scrum halves need to improve their technique.

Union is some kind of spiral with laws and applications: all these changes of emphasis, or the messing about with scrum stuff, is happening simply because Elite referees have failed to enforce basic laws.

Fail to enforce back foot law - fringers encroach - 9 decides he needs more protection - long caterpillars - being forced to use it when told. Stuff that wasn't necessary years ago.

Sort out the first bit and the rest of the chain colapses.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
plus if everyone was on their feet, a counter ruck would be possible, and the ball wouldn't be safe at the back of a ruck -- you'd want to use it quicklyl

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Well done Nigel! Only another 100 laws* for you to read ip on and add to your arsenal.

* hyperbole for effect.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

If everyone was bound properly, joining from the right direction, and playing the ball back to the waiting scrum half with their feet then I’d agree with you - what we see currently is a deliberate non contest, against the laws and boring for me

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If everyone was bound properly, joining from the right direction, and playing the ball back to the waiting scrum half with their feet then I’d agree with you - what we see currently is a deliberate non contest, against the laws and boring for me

Agreed. The point of "use it" was to get the ball back in play once the contest is over. This tactic works directly against that.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Referees have been instructed to call ‘use it’ as soon as the ball is available. This should mean that there is not much time to create the ‘caterpillar’. If the team in possession want to attach three, four or five players etc to the ruck they can do it but they still have to play the ball within five seconds.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I think most of us would see ‘play it’ as pass it, kick it or run/move with it. As opposed to simply ‘move it’ which is what is involved with caterpillar construction/formation.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
What the Law actually says is

[LAWS].When the ball has been clearly won by a team at the ruck, and is available to be played, the referee calls “use it”, after which the ball must be played away from the ruck within five seconds [/LAWS]

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Here's the nub. What does "play the ball" mean?

Well, if they meant keep building the ruck so the ball never emerged from it. They could have left the law as it was. Clearly they put this law in for a reason. My thought is it was to get the game moving and to stop the time where the ball was held in a sttatic ruck.

Why do you think the law was introduced?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I mean, it still took 9 seconds rather than 5 from the first "use it" call, but it's progress...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I would like to see the 5 seconds reduced to 3.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I am not sure who is in this ruck (picture from Wales online
0_catJPG.jpg

Are any of those players bound? I am not sure they are even in contact.

So why isn't the ball out?
And if the ball is out, aren't they offside?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
refer my post #2

Indeed. So, reading your answer. do you think that WR agrees with Nigel or you on the the incident in question? Do yo uthink they want the the ball to be kept in the extended ruck so to wind down the clock or to slow the game and make a contest impossible?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Isn't thanking God and mentioning Nigel Owens in the same thread title a bit redundant? :biggrin:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Isn't thanking God and mentioning Nigel Owens in the same thread title a bit redundant? :biggrin:

Don't be ridiculous. Nigel isn't God.....
he's just a Saint!

Edit....sometimes it seems like he thinks he's God tho!!