Thank God this isn't Soccer

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ciftci was initially cited for "seizing hold" of official Gavin Harris "by the throat" after being sent off following a mass brawl on the pitch.
But the 21-year-old player was later charged with "placing an open hand into the lower area of the assistant referee's throat".

WTF, 2 game ban for that. I'm not surprised the refs are pissed off.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This all I can find on YouTube. TBH it doesn't shed much light on it IMO.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
"It all started when he hit me back, m'Lud".

Lino should have stayed out of the fray.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can't see what he does from that video - need an Ian Cook frame by frame special.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Rule 1 - don't get physically involved, step back and take down colours, numbers and actions.

Rule 2 - don't get physically involved, step back and take down colours, numbers and actions.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Rule 1 - don't get physically involved, step back and take down colours, numbers and actions.

Rule 2 - don't get physically involved, step back and take down colours, numbers and actions.

Rule 3 - When all else fails, apply Rules 1 and 2.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I don't know that I have all that much sympathy with our football brethren. If they had stood up to their association years ago and resolved to red card anyone who invaded their space or who waved their arms around madly or argued aggressively then they wouldn't be so disrespected by their association.

It might sound harsh but they have allowed themselves to be treated like excrement for so long it should be no surprise that their association obliges. I've said this on here before, but I watched a game of pretty low level senior club football in NZ a while back and I can honestly say that had I been the ref I would have booked every player and sent most of them off for disgraceful conduct directed at the ref.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
At a inter works football competition, one of the referees got injured, hamstring went so I was shouted at, "Matt, your a ref do you fancy doing one of the games?" I duly obliged and went out for the next game. (I do still play football and had played at town/county level in my youth.)

At the end of the match each team was down to 8 players due to players questioning my calls and getting in my face, arguing and swearing at me so in total 6 RC's, players didnt even take notice after the first couple of RC's and attitude didnt change.

With the way it works for us, all 6 guys were on Commanding Officers orders on the Friday and got fined.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
At a inter works football competition, one of the referees got injured, hamstring went so I was shouted at, "Matt, your a ref do you fancy doing one of the games?" I duly obliged and went out for the next game. (I do still play football and had played at town/county level in my youth.)

At the end of the match each team was down to 8 players due to players questioning my calls and getting in my face, arguing and swearing at me so in total 6 RC's, players didnt even take notice after the first couple of RC's and attitude didnt change.

With the way it works for us, all 6 guys were on Commanding Officers orders on the Friday and got fined.

Love your work. If only all soccer referees acted like this! All shit would be gone very quickly.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Cheers leaguerefaus, after the game I was asked by the Regiments football officer why I had felt the need to RC so many players.

I explained to him, that my decisions were correct and that the players should respect that and act accordinly, not get in my face, swearing and shouting/spitting because they were so incensed.

His reply was that football refs are used to that attitude and deal with it.

My comeback was that football refs have let them get away with too much for too long and that when Im the official in charge, my standards apply, and that coaches and team managers(ie Him) should be taking more responsibility of their teams and be stamping out this disgraceful behaviour.

I walked away and he stood their with his mouth open, unsure what he could say in reply to that.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
If a player ever laid a finger on me in an agressive way, he wouldnt need banning for a few weeks, I would ensure he wouldnt play for a few weeks at least.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
If a player ever laid a finger on me in an agressive way, he wouldnt need banning for a few weeks, I would ensure he wouldnt play for a few weeks at least.

Hmmm. We expect players to show discipline and not retaliate when provoked so that we, as referees, can sanction them.
Should we not show the same discipline??

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hmmm. We expect players to show discipline and not retaliate when provoked so that we, as referees, can sanction them.
Should we not show the same discipline??

Yes we should.......

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Love your work. If only all soccer referees acted like this! All shit would be gone very quickly.

if all top referees were to act like this they would be fired, and the next batch would be brought through. who would accept it, as otherwise they wouldn't get the games.

if elite rugby is an entertainment product, what about elite soccer?

it's a shambles, which is why i have nothing to do with the sport. well, except the occasional gamble of course.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
if all top referees were to act like this they would be fired, and the next batch would be brought through. who would accept it, as otherwise they wouldn't get the games.

if elite rugby is an entertainment product, what about elite soccer?

it's a shambles, which is why i have nothing to do with the sport. well, except the occasional gamble of course.

I was more implying that a directive should be given from FIFA to stop allowing such rubbish. I realise an elite referee can't on their own accord start doing things vastly different to what the norm is.

However, just because elite refs have to act like muppets, I see that as no reason for junior refs of a weekend to accept a load of rubbish from players.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
ah. in which case i entirely agree with you. if they truly wanted to stamp this out, they would have.