That's done it for me. Goodbye rugby I'm out

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Australia v France. Most ridiculous decision, and not entirely the ref's fault

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
It did seem that the AR influenced the decision. Thought referee was indecisive and didn’t lead the conversation. The other AR didn’t say anything.
Overall during the whole of the match not a particularly strong match official team performance.

Balones

Post Likes
I was watching Wales v Argentina but I’ve just put some paint on a wall and I’m finding it more entertaining to watch it dry!

P.S. Is there a world record for the number of knocks-on in a match?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I only saw the clip. In the clip when the card is shown, the Aussie Captain was asked why he was not going off for a HIA and the ref said the medics had looked at him and said he was OK. So I assumed no HIA.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I only saw the clip. In the clip when the card is shown, the Aussie Captain was asked why he was not going off for a HIA and the ref said the medics had looked at him and said he was OK. So I assumed no HIA.

I wondered about that

What did the medics do then?
Sounds like they conducted some sort of assessment to see if he needed an assessment ?

I would like to see the protocol for that curious procedure

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would like to see the protocol for that curious procedure

straight forward. Once the red card is shown, all injuries magically recovered

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I was watching Wales v Argentina but I’ve just put some paint on a wall and I’m finding it more entertaining to watch it dry!

P.S. Is there a world record for the number of knocks-on in a match?

i caught about half an hour of it... was the pitch really soggy - lots of surface water making the ball wet?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
people have talked about whether the French playere should be YC for simulating.

Here's what the LAw says

[LAWS]Unfair play

A player must not:

Do anything that may lead the match officials to consider that an opponent has committed an infringement.
Sanction: Penalty.[/LAWS]

I think the Law really means

[LAWS]Unfair play

A player must not:

Do anything that may lead the match officials to consider that an opponent has committed an infringement [when he hasn't]

and in this case - he had. He got a RC.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
There are some posters, who might have a blue ensign flag, who are not sure if foul play actually occurred, and wonder if the Blue players actions caused the ref to make an incorrect decision.

We will have to wait for the disciplinary committee's decision.

However, in the hypothetical case. Lets say that due to Green 9 simulating an injury, Red 4 is sent off. The panel sits, reviews the evidence, and decides to recind the card. Could it then cite green 9, even though the usual citing period had passed?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There are some posters, who might have a blue ensign flag, who are not sure if foul play actually occurred, and wonder if the Blue players actions caused the ref to make an incorrect decision.

We will have to wait for the disciplinary committee's decision.

However, in the hypothetical case. Lets say that due to Green 9 simulating an injury, Red 4 is sent off. The panel sits, reviews the evidence, and decides to recind the card. Could it then cite green 9, even though the usual citing period had passed?

In pro rugby RC decisions are made by the framework, using the video, and don't really pay any attention to whether the victim is injured or not. It's not a factor, is it?

plenty of RC given when it's totally clear no one was injured (but could have been)
plenty of 'play on' verdicts when it is clear some one WAS injured, but it was just a rugby accident

and - it's not an offence to pretend to be injured (am reliably informed that fat props do that sometimes, to get a rest!)

the offence is to pretend that an opponent has committed an offence

Last edited:

Balones

Post Likes
i caught about half an hour of it... was the pitch really soggy - lots of surface water making the ball wet?

The commentators I believe made some sort of reference to humidity causing a slippery ball. Weak excuse in my opinion. They will all have played in much worse wet and rainy conditions. Wales were the main culprits but Argentina weren’t far behind. It wasn’t a case of stop/go but rather stop/stop/stop/go.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Australia v France. Most ridiculous decision, and not entirely the ref's fault

It is the post modern male. A lot has taken place to create the post modern. This incident is just evidence. But you are correct. It is not the ref's fault.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
It is the post modern male. A lot has taken place to create the post modern. This incident is just evidence. But you are correct. It is not the ref's fault.

Thank (insert deity here) that sanity has prevailed

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
people have talked about whether the French playere should be YC for simulating.

Here's what the LAw says

[LAWS]Unfair play

A player must not:

Do anything that may lead the match officials to consider that an opponent has committed an infringement.

I think the Law really means

[LAWS]Unfair play

A player must not:

Do anything that may lead the match officials to consider that an opponent has committed an infringement [when he hasn't]

and in this case - he had. He got a RC.

or not :biggrin:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I've seen all the angles, and for me it was orange, so I can't really fault To3.

But someone needs to have a word with Koroibete. If he keeps RL tackling like that, there will be a real red in his future.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
strikes me as a pretty flawed process.

4 match officials say one thing and a judiciary dude overrules them and thrown them under the bus. I wonder if the ref now has right of appeal?

Or maybe the TMO should be replaced by the judiciary dude.