the Chiefs

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I've never understood why a team from Exeter would think that Chiefs was a good idea. It's not like there's a good connection there.

I guess the Exeter Ponies was never going to work.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Perhaps their name is in honour of the various Maori Chiefs given that the Maori King resides in their catchment area>

Maybe. Does "in honour" trump cultural appropriation?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've never understood why a team from Exeter would think that Chiefs was a good idea. It's not like there's a good connection there.

I guess the Exeter Ponies was never going to work.

Pirates / seafarers have more of a connection. Two quick thoughts I'm sure a bit of research could come up with plenty more. Jut no need to be as pathetic as the "CARDIFF BLUES" !

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Cultural appropriation can come from an appreciation of the other culture.
[LAWS]Without embracing and building upon the ideas of other cultures, humanity remains static. History has proven that “cultural appropriation” is critical for human progress, and without it the future is bleak.[/LAWS] Source
Most of us can spot offensive stereotypes and blatant racism, without the help of some politically correct type pointing it out for us.

I must have posted at the same time as Marc.

I was wondering about Saracens?
The term had negative connotations for a long time, denoting Arab Muslims. The logo is clearly an Islamic reference. The club website suggests it was inspired by an appreciation of Saladin’s men.
The club's name is said to come from the "endurance, enthusiasm and perceived invincibility of Saladin's desert warriors of the 12th century".
Although the fact their local rivals were called Crusaders probably had more to do with it.

The topic has popped up before: Crusaders and NZ Rugby much ink was spilled at the time.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Redskin is a derogatory racial slur, whereas chief is not.
I agree for Washington the issue was more complex than for Exeter.
This isn’t an issue that will simply go away. Just ask the Washington Redskins. Controversy about the use of the term Redskins began in the 1960s – over 50 years ago – and the criticism has only become more strident over subsequent decades.

In 2015, it seemed the Redskins would be in urgent need of a re-brand when an appeal board of the U.S. Patents & Trademark office voted to cancel the football team’s trademarks on the grounds they were disparaging to Native Americans.

A first appeal by the football team was dismissed by a judge, however in a separate case in 2017 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously that not allowing disparaging names to be protected by trademark registration was an “unconstitutional infringement of freedom of speech”.
That freedom of speech allows folks to use racial slurs beggars belief. Only in White America’s eyes.
The R word is the direct equivalent of the N word, stereotyping people by the colour of their skin.

Last edited:

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Hard to view the Waikato team as appropriation given a) they are based in the country of said Chiefs' origins, b) a substantial part of the fan base can claim some Maori heritage, c) many players drawn from the catchment provinces have Maori heritage, d) the club engages in a sincere program of cultural outreach and appreciation with its Maori community. See also this 2013 article from the always-excellent Uni Watch.

In comparison, a) Exeter is many 1,000s of miles from the homelands of the Native Americans whose image they have appropriated, b) virtually none of the Exeter fans (if any) can claim Native American heritage, c) ditto the players, d) the club does nothing with its co-opted imagery except market itself.

Not the same at all.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Does this mean I have to redact my Naval Career?

"Chief Petty Officer Everitt"

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
[...] Jut no need to be as pathetic as the "CARDIFF BLUES" !
I support the Bedford Blues. I believe that is because their strip is a mixture of Oxford and Cambridge blues.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Exeter can hardly use the Pirate route as that is claimed by Penzance and Newlyn - sorry Cornish.

But the Hound of the Baskervilles comes from Dartmoor.
As does Silver Blaze - and hence the dog that did not bark.

I think OB may be correct. Cardiff play in Caius shirts Blue and Black.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I support the Bedford Blues. I believe that is because their strip is a mixture of Oxford and Cambridge blues.

Cardiff was always the Blue and BLacks. When we had the "regional dream" they became "The Cardiff Blues" The marketing dept, the union and the BBC Try to force it to "the Blues". You can't chant "BLUES" it comes over as "BOOOOOOOOS!" Slipshod work.

Why not Cardiff with a nickname or Bedford with the nickname. Just as Manchester United Manchester United but their nickname is the Red Devils or the reds.

Americanised Marketing nonsense for me. I only use the word "b lues" to establish context between the Regional Outfit "Cardiff Blues" and the Semi pro side "Cardiff RFC". All part of th same club despite the propaganda.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Exeter can hardly use the Pirate route as that is claimed by Penzance and Newlyn - sorry Cornish.

But the Hound of the Baskervilles comes from Dartmoor.
As does Silver Blaze - and hence the dog that did not bark.

I think OB may be correct. Cardiff play in Caius shirts Blue and Black.

I don't think copyright applies.

Cardiff were always Cambridge Blue and Black. The Cardiff Blues team do not the play in Dark and light blue now. for strange political reasons. The Current directors do not seem to understand the value of Tradition etc in rugby. The Cambridge bit is long gone, sadly.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I wonder where it will all go. I thought to say "end up" but maybe it will never end up:

thumb_chess-the-most-racist-game-ever-white-goes-first-33886619.png

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Jut no need to be as pathetic as the "CARDIFF BLUES" !

Why pathetic? Is it because "blues" is a style of music that should not be culturally appropriated? :shrug:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

it's only cultural appropriation if you think that a rugby team naturally represnents white culture (appropriating a non-white one).

I hope we are beyond that : rugby should be (I hope is - or is at least becoming) a sport for all different cultures. Given that I don't see the problem with a NZ team celebrating Maori culture. Anymore than - say - a Irish team celebrating Celtic culture