the Chiefs

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Yup, Chinese society is the ultimate expression of Political Correctness, where not only is it not "not done" to say certain things, it is illegal, with severe punishment for transgression. Death can be the result of saying the wrong words or doing the wrong things (see Tiananman Square 15 Apr 1989 – 4 Jun 1989), where a man has the bravery to stand in front of a row of tanks, and is later probably executed for doing so.

Don't anyone be fooled by "Chinese tourism". The Chinese tourists you see are the ones who are allowed out - those who are deemed "politically safe" - sufficiently indoctrinated to risk exposure to Western culture.
Back in 1999 my daughter was working inHong Kong, so my brother and I went out to visit her. At one stage we were standing in a car park admiring the bridge across to the new airport when a couple of coaches arrived full of Chinese tourists. With much giggling a number of them came across to take our photographs. Why? Because we both have full beards - virtually non-existent in China.

A more relevant memory is from a long vac visit round the Soviet Union in 1961. Our Intourist guide arranged a visit to Moscow University, where we were shown round by a couple of students. Earlier that morning we had seen an Embassy flyer announcing that the Soviet Union had just broken a test ban treaty. We mentioned this to our guides and their reply was "They will tell us when they want us to know".

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
@iancook @ob

You are both mods
How is this discussion of China in any way relevant or useful to rugby refs .com ?

Do these last two posts make the site better or worse ?

Who moderates the mods?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
One might ask how the thread itself is of use to improving referees, our mission.

Perhaps the OP could do some self reflection as to the value this thread actually adds?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
One might ask how the thread itself is of use to improving referees, our mission.

Perhaps the OP could do some self reflection as to the value this thread actually adds?

Indeed, and I have come to the conclusion the thread should be ended ! Now I am trying to persuade the mods :), many of whom I see are still posting on it

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Indeed, and I have come to the conclusion the thread should be ended ! Now I am trying to persuade the mods :), many of whom I see are still posting on it

Crossref

You still fail to see the point. Why should we close a thread merely because YOU want it closed. Others may still wish to discuss aspects of what has been posted. Closing it would deny them that... because you've got the hump over it!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Crossref

You still fail to see the point. Why should we close a thread merely because YOU want it closed. Others may still wish to discuss aspects of what has been posted. Closing it would deny them that... because you've got the hump over it!

Cool, let's keep going as there were new developments over the weekend .. the Tomahawk Chop (the crowd do a wailing sound associated with Native Americans)

BT Sport said prior to the game that they would not be including the chop in the synthetic crowd noises that they are doing . (Chants from other clubs have been used)

So Exeter played it over the PA system (this is in an empty stadium! ) so as to get it on the TV

So the chiefs really putting up two fingers to everyone.

https://twitter.com/RugbyInsideLine/status/1294620405139943424?s=19

Also in attendance .. is this a human mascot ?
https://twitter.com/RnRRugby/status/1292478027818061824?s=19

They are having a shocker ..

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Cool, let's keep going as there were new developments over the weekend .. the Tomahawk Chop (the crowd do a wailing sound associated with Native Americans)

BT Sport said prior to the game that they would not be including the chop in the synthetic crowd noises that they are doing . (Chants from other clubs have been used)

So Exeter played it over the PA system (this is in an empty stadium! ) so as to get it on the TV

So the chiefs really putting up two fingers to everyone.

https://twitter.com/RugbyInsideLine/status/1294620405139943424?s=19

Also in attendance .. is this a human mascot ?
https://twitter.com/RnRRugby/status/1292478027818061824?s=19

They are having a shocker ..

Terrible optics in light of what they said they would do.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Worse than "optics" which would imply something that was harmless but inadvertently looked bad

Playing the chant to an empty stadium is calculated

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
did they all 'take a knee'?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Let's wait and see how wll that is enforced.

It's in Kansas City, in Missouri.
Not well known as a hotbed for positive race relations.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes

It's in Kansas City, in Missouri.
Not well known as a hotbed for positive race relations.

what us city is a hotbed for positive race relations?

Well, the mayor is a democrat, so all is well there. Correct? Democrats have a good record with running cities.

And from wiki

Lucas (the Mayor of KC) is a noted super-fan of the Kansas City Chiefs. The New York Times found that he takes exceptionally detailed notes on the performances of Kansas City sports teams.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
what us city is a hotbed for positive race relations?

Well, the mayor is a democrat, so all is well there. Correct? Democrats have a good record with running cities.

And from wiki

Lucas (the Mayor of KC) is a noted super-fan of the Kansas City Chiefs. The New York Times found that he takes exceptionally detailed notes on the performances of Kansas City sports teams.

Quite how the Mayor is involved in enforcing a policy internal to the KC Chiefs is not quite clear.
But you know that. You're just being your usual trolling self.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Quite how the Mayor is involved in enforcing a policy internal to the KC Chiefs is not quite clear.
But you know that. You're just being your usual trolling self.

What US city is a hotbed for positive race relations?

The Mayor is involved presumably since the stadium is within city limits and was built (most NFL stadiums) using tax payer money. But you are correct, the stadium is a county funded and owned enterprise. The mayor really has minimal authority other than representing the city and its football team named after people that were present in NA before European conquest.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sept 22
The branding has gone (hooray)
Fans STILL doing the tomahawk chant.. what is wrong with people in Exeter

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Sept 22
The branding has gone (hooray)