The Grammar School at Leeds - anyone know about them?

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Apparently are touring oz soon and look like playing a fixture against my sons team

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Apparently are touring oz soon and look like playing a fixture against my sons team

Public school. Mark Bailey the ex England Winger used to be Head although he is not a teacher. Bailey's PhD was about rabbit warrens in medieval England - really useful!

Mr Bisto played against them when they were about 13 years old and got whacked! 40 odd to 3 in the Yorkshire Post schools cup.

Don't expect anyone to talk like Jamie Peacock! If any of the kids actually live in Leeds they'll be from the more salubrious Northern suburbs - Adel, Alwoodley, Bramhope, Collingham etc. rather than Beeston,Chapeltown and Middleton.

Mill owners rather than mill workers.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Don't you just love us English, he asks about rugby and you tell him about class :)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Don't you just love us English, he asks about rugby and you tell him about class :)

Tigercraig asked about what I knew about LGS. That's what I know.

Any question about any public school will eventually lead me to talking about the kids/parents having more money/bigger houses than their comprehensive school counterparts.:biggrin:

LGS is a public school and are better at Rugby than most schools in Yorkshire. Without looking at their fixtures I suspect they'll get beaten by Prince Henry's at Otley and a few others - maybe.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
well, whatever, there's lot's more information about them here
http://www.gsal.org.uk/

you might be surprised/ pleased to know that, like many independent schools -
The financial support offered through our means-tested bursary scheme helps pupils who have the potential to succeed at GSAL but would be prevented from taking up a place by their financial circumstances. We currently invest over £1m per annum in providing financial support to over 200 of our senior school pupils.
so not all in big cars,then

one thing I'd say is VERY unusual is that there seems to be nothing at all about sport on their website. Or I couldn't see anything, anyway.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
TC, I am reffing them next Tuesday night against a local Melbourne club. I'll post a report on Wednesday morning. What position is your son playing? I'll let you know what he's in for :)

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
TC, I am reffing them next Tuesday night against a local Melbourne club. I'll post a report on Wednesday morning. What position is your son playing? I'll let you know what he's in for :)

Cheers Dickie.

I'm not sure if GSAL are sending multiple sides. My boy plays in the Under 18's. He's either a hooker or flanker depending on who turns up.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
one thing I'd say is VERY unusual is that there seems to be nothing at all about sport on their website. Or I couldn't see anything, anyway.

Thats what I thought. Most private schools I know have pictures of boys playing rugby, cricket, rowing and athletics and somewhere a brief mention that the occasional academic class is run. :biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Leeds lost two games last year.

One against Woodhouse Grove (Bradford) and once against Millfield at Twickenham. They stuck 60 odd on Ampleforth - 100 Hail Marys for the games teacher that day. They were quite good last year.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Public school. Mark Bailey the ex England Winger used to be Head although he is not a teacher. Bailey's PhD was about rabbit warrens in medieval England - really useful!

Mark is now High Master of my Alma Mater St Paul's London. He has done a very good job there by all accounts.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Nice guy. Ran a rugby camp at Cambridge in 1985 (I think) - him, Ian Peck, Huw Davies turned up, as well as Rob Andrew.

My introduction to underage drinking.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Now that beats any school trip I had when I went To Barrow Grammar School for Boys in the 70's!!
Oh how my parents would have loved to have come up with the pocket money to send me on a trip like that!!

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Now that beats any school trip I had when I went To Barrow Grammar School for Boys in the 70's!!
Oh how my parents would have loved to have come up with the pocket money to send me on a trip like that!!

Paris in the mid 80's was a good school trip. I was not one, but some players stayed at the British Embassy, and the luckier ones with Charlotte Rampling.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
On my school trip we went to Birmingham and got drunk.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just got home from the game. Local club colts (Powerhouse) vs. Leeds 1st XV.

Absolutely pleasurable event. Finsihed the night with a "sing off" - Leeds chants vs. local hakas. Great stuff.

On the field, both teams played fast, physical and high skilled rugby with very little foul play. The Leeds team a little surprised by the physicality of the primarily Islander opposition.

Final score 19-5 to local team.

Leeds have some wheels in the backline - watch out.

Leeds have a solid scrum, an excellent lineout and a good kicking game. Very well drilled at the breakdown.

They have brought 3 teams - 1st and 2nd XV and an U16 team.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Just got home from the game. Local club colts (Powerhouse) vs. Leeds 1st XV.

Absolutely pleasurable event. Finsihed the night with a "sing off" - Leeds chants vs. local hakas. Great stuff.

On the field, both teams played fast, physical and high skilled rugby with very little foul play. The Leeds team a little surprised by the physicality of the primarily Islander opposition.

Final score 19-5 to local team.

Leeds have some wheels in the backline - watch out.

Leeds have a solid scrum, an excellent lineout and a good kicking game. Very well drilled at the breakdown.

They have brought 3 teams - 1st and 2nd XV and an U16 team.

Cheers. We are due to play them on August 3. Apparently the 1st XV were supposed to play a combined Sydney team but it fell through so my sons club (Forest) are playing all. We are currently running 3rd in the Sydney under 18 comp, but all but 2 of our boys are actually under 17's. We will probably bring in a couple of boys from the clubs Colts who are still 18 to help out. I've nominated to referee one of the games so we shall see.