The Rugby Club & Bryce Lawrence's Scrums

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Didds

I thought we'd agreed that the shirt cost would not rise, you need shirts to fit all players, you still need shirts to fit all players.

If shiny shirts are the same price as the shirts Club X would otherwise buy then yes - my premis was that shiny shirts wiould be more expensive but i accept that was a presumption on my part.

didds

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Anything which is done to shirts will make the cost rise. The manufacturers will see to that.

And if anything is done at the elite level, where they get them free with a big sponsorship deal, it will be the lower levels who pick up the tab.

Clubs at the lower (say 4-6) levels will seek to emulate to encourage players to 'think positive' and will waste money accordingly.

The whole idea of designer shirts for different positions is a load of cobblers (talking of which the designer boots will be along soon) and add another nail in the coffin of rugby for all. But then the NFL is popular so perhaps...

Last edited:

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Do you really think that the referees at the elite level need to have the props with clear spots marked on their jerseys to tell them whether the bind is in the right place or not? Mind you, they do seem to have difficulty so perhaps...

Actually, and perhaps oddly, yes I do. Elite refs have so much to worry about at scrumtime that every little bit helps. And lets face it, when was the last time you saw a scrum where all 4 props bound in exactly the right place?

Bury_Dave

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't disgree generally speaking. But I would add regarding these shirts suggestions... it just seems to me that its a desperate attempt to "fix" something by introducing MORE laws/requirements especially wher it introduces even MORE cost to teams. Quite why the average level 8 team would want shiny shirts defeats me - they'd be better off spending the money on giving every player a ball to take home and actually get used to passing properly!

didds

I agree with that last sentiment completely !

I'm only talking about the highest levels of the game where the shirts are not only tight, but thin too. They don't need to be worn for more than one half of one game as the players change them and then have 2 'match-worn' jerseys to sell on eBay. Not repeated use like the other 99% of the game.

Although to be fair to our club rugby, most of those players seem to have more motivation and desire to win than most of our current England players.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Didds

I thought we'd agreed that the shirt cost would not rise, you need shirts to fit all players, you still need shirts to fit all players.

If shiny shirts are the same price as the shirts Club X would otherwise buy then yes - my premis was that shiny shirts wiould be more expensive but i accept that was a presumption on my part.

didds

If a club buys new shirts then regardless of whether they buy ordinary shirts or tight slippy ones they will need a set to fit all players.

If they buy expensive slippery ones that's a choice they make.

The set they get for the front row could be a little less tight than the rest, but they don't need more shirts just one size up on what they would have bought for the front row.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Anything which is done to shirts will make the cost rise. The manufacturers will see to that.

Nah.

Team A's shirt is all red

Team B's shirt is red with a gold band around the middle

Team C's shirt is red and gold quarters, "quins" style

A coloured patch on a jersey is no different from a coloured squares or stripes. If the manufacturer, size and model of shirt are the same, the price is the same.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Nah.

Team A's shirt is all red

Team B's shirt is red with a gold band around the middle

Team C's shirt is red and gold quarters, "quins" style

A coloured patch on a jersey is no different from a coloured squares or stripes. If the manufacturer, size and model of shirt are the same, the price is the same.

You may well find that the 'patch', even if it is not OB Velcro or colour coded, is treated like a club badge or some other special seeing as how it is only on the prop shirt, unless of course it becomes the fashion for all shirts to have a 'prop patch' on them so that weedy scrum halves can feel real macho?

And of course the 'prop patch' will have to be especially strengthened to cope with the additional wear, should the scrum binding actually make use of them...

108610.gif