[Tackle] The two rugby coaches were assured by the farmer beforehand...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Only in Australia.....

An elite Sydney boys' school is being investigated for animal cruelty after a video emerged of students crash tackling sheep during rugby drills.

King's School, famed for producing national rugby stars, initially defended the training exercise.
Headmaster Tim Hawkes had said the task was "not dissimilar to that undertaken by shearers" and that no animals were harmed.

"The two rugby coaches were assured by the farmer beforehand that the activity was safe and all the more so because he would be supervising it carefully," Dr Hawkes said in a statement issued to the Australian Broadcasting Corp, which uncovered the video.

But in a later statement, he said he was "appalled at the decision".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-36339246

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
20 years ago in France I helped a farmer catch a ram that was due for slaughter. We herded it into a small paddock then tried to catch the bugger. In the end we squeezed it along a fence side and as it came past I tackled it.

As we got it up onto the table for the butcher to complete the task the butcher said "at least that's the dangerous part done". It seems he has seen catchers head butted in the guts and end up with massive internal hemorrhaging!

didds

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"Only in Australia" because if it was in NZ or Wales, they'd be doing a lot more than "tackling" the sheep.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
"Only in Australia" because if it was in NZ or Wales, they'd be doing a lot more than "tackling" the sheep.
Don't knock it till you've tried it.

I didn't see anything dangerous in that.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Don't knock it till you've tried it.

I didn't see anything dangerous in that.

Well, it was an Aussie that raised the subject, so I can only imagine that he is speaking from previous experience! :pepper:

"Crash tackling?" That must be Aussie slang for something, but I can't imagine what that might be!?:holysheep: