These goal line dropouts

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
The other team arranged the ref, so I honestly don't know if it was direct or via the local society, but he did have his society shirt on. Regarding the 6 minute yellow card, he did tell me that was specifically detailed in the guidelines he was given by the local society :confused:

On this occasion it was an u15 game (following u14 law variations); however, the same club arranged a different society ref last year when we were u14 (wearing his shirt, but I'm not sure how he was appointed; however, I believe he is associated with the club).

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Clearly some confusion, and I have heard some coaches claiming that yes it should be U14 laws but U15 timings (30 mins and 6 min yellow instead of 25 mins and 5 min yellow), and I have no idea where that's come from as for me the match length and card length are in the same PDF file as the rest of the law variations for that age.

As an aside, I've never been told not to wear my society shirt when reffing a non appointed game, or vice versa, in fact most of my shirts are just Gilbert refs shirts as opposed to Society labelled ones, so most of the time I'm not wearing one - does it matter? I understand insurance, appointment etc, and possibly slightly different for me as I'm insured as coach too, and I am an active society ref as opposed to the guy at the club who hasn't been active in the society for 10 years - am intrigued how others are guided on this though?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Check with your society , our rules are very clear .. no appointment no shirt.
But you certainly have the option to phone the appointments guy , tell him/her about the game , get it loaded up and *if you are suitable* to appoint you to it

It's the "If you are suitable" bit that is important here .. which in this case would include "do you know the age group regs and are you DBs checked"

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Check with your society , our rules are very clear .. no appointment no shirt.
But you certainly have the option to phone the appointments guy , tell him/her about the game , get it loaded up and *if you are suitable* to appoint you to it

It's the "If you are suitable" bit that is important here .. which in this case would include "do you know the age group regs and are you DBs checked"

TBF it only happens with games where I'm involved with the team already, part of my club, and I'm already considered suitable for all teams apart from our 1st XV (L3) so it's normally a case of 'this is happening can you put it on the system' which works. I can see how it would be different if it was another club, asking me as an external ref to do a game not via the appointments system though.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
TBF it only happens with games where I'm involved with the team already, part of my club, and I'm already considered suitable for all teams apart from our 1st XV (L3) so it's normally a case of 'this is happening can you put it on the system' which works. I can see how it would be different if it was another club, asking me as an external ref to do a game not via the appointments system though.

In our society either case : no appointment = no shirt.

I would be surprised if it was not the same for you

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In our society either case : no appointment = no shirt.

I would be surprised if it was not the same for you

What's other societies take on this? Hell I've been a society ref > 4 years now and only had a society shirt 4 weeks!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the other way round (wearing your own shirt on a society game) is not a crime (but the sponsors would wonder why they are spending all that money on shirts....)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
the other way round (wearing your own shirt on a society game) is not a crime (but the sponsors would wonder why they are spending all that money on shirts....)

Sponsors? I had to buy my own and only words on it are 'Macron' and 'Durham Referees Society'! There's a reason I haven't had one for 4 years

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
What's other societies take on this? Hell I've been a society ref > 4 years now and only had a society shirt 4 weeks!

Phone call comes in "we had this society ref at our game and blah blah blah". You look it up on the system and ... We didn't send a society ref to that game.. who was it ???

You can see why no appointment, no shirt

Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Phone call comes in "we had this society ref at our game and blah blah blah". You look it up on the system and ... We didn't send a society ref to that game.. who was it ???

You can see why no appointment, no shirt

Oh I totally understand the logic, it’s just not something I’ve heard dictated, not had to consider that’s all, it makes sense

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
We have to wear Society kit for appointments as well as turn up in Society jackets. This is due to the sponsorship that paid for them.

I see many Society refs wearing their Society shirts for reffing at their club. This is mainly because it gives them some gravitas. I don't really see a problem with this. At the very least it shows they are qualified to referee.

At the end of the day all our referees are volunteers and if you start dictating to them they stop volunteering.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
At the end of the day all our referees are volunteers and if you start dictating to them they stop volunteering.

Some of them have the same perspective about the Laws!

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Some of them have the same perspective about the Laws!

Then they shouldn't be volunteering. The laws and the general interpretation of them should be a hard rule, especially around foul play. If you don't want to apply the laws in the general spirit intended then you can't be a referee and nor should you be.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Then they shouldn't be volunteering. The laws and the general interpretation of them should be a hard rule, especially around foul play. If you don't want to apply the laws in the general spirit intended then you can't be a referee and nor should you be.

Welcome to the wonderful world of volunteering, you get the people that want to do it, not necessarily the people *we* want to do it.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
without wading through tghe above ... i was asked by a chum at the weekend what the rationale was behind

- attackers put ball in goal
- defenders touch it down
- Goal Line Drop Out is awarded rather than the previous 22m drop o9ut.

Seems that the attackers are rewarded here ?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
without wading through tghe above ... i was asked by a chum at the weekend what the rationale was behind

- attackers put ball in goal
- defenders touch it down
- Goal Line Drop Out is awarded rather than the previous 22m drop o9ut.

Seems that the attackers are rewarded here ?

Does it rebalance risk and reward for grubbering through for a teammate/kicker?

If the attacker(s) are skilful enough to kick the ball into in goal without it going dead or if defenders are too lazy/inept to kick it out/run it out from in goal. GLDO = just reward?

Actually kicking the ball into in goal is a skill assuming clubs move/have moved away from stupidly big in-goals circa. 1967.

Do clubs still have massive in-goal areas? Sedgeley Park's on Saturday were big. Only 1 GLDO in the whole game. It appears to be that infrequent I'm not sure it's worth getting hung up about. As long as you get the decision correct.

I've awarded 1 GLDO this season.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
We have to wear Society kit for appointments as well as turn up in Society jackets. This is due to the sponsorship that paid for them.

I see many Society refs wearing their Society shirts for reffing at their club. This is mainly because it gives them some gravitas. I don't really see a problem with this. At the very least it shows they are qualified to referee.

We have had a reiteration e-mail about kit as it appears there are a number of my colleagues wearing older versions of kit that no longer has the appropriate sponsor(s) on.

We have an issue insofar as we have to buy our shirts so I can sort of understand keeping old ones.

Our chopping and changing of colours, designs & suppliers has rather diluted our "brand" and it it is probably no wonder we have folk running round in 5 or 10 year old kit in a myriad of colours.

If it were my call I'd give all serving refs and everyone who has say, fulfilled 5 games A WHITE SHIRT and (choose) a change shirt and stick to it!

I can spot London refs a mile off. They have a consistent "brand", like we once had.

Incoming ref = White Shirt = Yorkshire

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
On the same note.

There are some National Panel refs who do Society games in YRS land who wear the RFU garb.

Again I can see the reasoning if you've not been a Society referee for a number of years.

Does the RFU kit sow a seed in the minds of the players/spectators that he/she must be good or w****r!

I know what I think! :)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
We have had a reiteration e-mail about kit as it appears there are a number of my colleagues wearing older versions of kit that no longer has the appropriate sponsor(s) on.

We have an issue insofar as we have to buy our shirts so I can sort of understand keeping old ones.

indeed. id have thought the least the society could do is negoitae sufficient sponsorship to provide a updated shirt. Otherwsie this is exactly what will happen. What will they do if a ref refuses to buy a new shirt for the 15th season in a row because he already has 14 perfectly adequate and decent shirts to ref in? Not appoint him/her? and then what happens when there are no appointable refs ?

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
One of the benefits of being a mere Match Observer (as we seem to be called these days).