These goal line dropouts

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
As a match observer I'll admit to wearing RFU branded kit on specific occasions. I hope it tells folk that I have at least half an idea of what I am talking about, but it doesn't always work. I also used to know what a Law Book actually looked like but now I am not so sure.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
indeed. id have thought the least the society could do is negoitae sufficient sponsorship to provide a updated shirt. Otherwsie this is exactly what will happen. What will they do if a ref refuses to buy a new shirt for the 15th season in a row because he already has 14 perfectly adequate and decent shirts to ref in? Not appoint him/her? and then what happens when there are no appointable refs ?

When London changed sponsor we all got two new shirts

The old ones were collected in and , I think , donated to a charity. There are presumably teams in pooerer parts of the world wearing them to play in !

In other societies the one shirt issued is reversible (ie two different colours in one shirt) which seems to be a perfect idea for halving your kit cost.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
When London changed sponsor we all got two new shirts

The old ones were collected in and , I think , donated to a charity. There are presumably teams in pooerer parts of the world wearing them to play in !

In other societies the one shirt issued is reversible (ie two different colours in one shirt) which seems to be a perfect idea for halving your kit cost.

Not only does it halve kit cost, it also makes it much easier to switch if one side color clashes.

The head of my society is always soliciting donations of jerseys to offer to younger (read: high school/college student) referees who can't necessarily afford a new jersey (no sponsor, so a new shirt/short set runs $60-80).

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Not only does it halve kit cost, it also makes it much easier to switch if one side color clashes.

The head of my society is always soliciting donations of jerseys to offer to younger (read: high school/college student) referees who can't necessarily afford a new jersey (no sponsor, so a new shirt/short set runs $60-80).

Do you have an address? £10 to send a 2kg parcel by sea.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I thought it was now Match Official Developers?

Strictly speaking yes - but my appointments all come through as Performance Reviewer!

That would make someone of my age a MOD for the second time in my life! (60s reference for those too young to appreciate comment!:))

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My Society has a Match Observer Development Officer in charge of appointing us.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
My Society has a Match Observer Development Officer in charge of appointing us.
Ours still calls himself a SADO. Society Assessor Development Officer. Couldn’t be bothered to change title.
I must admit that when arriving at grounds and there is some sort of steward/pay booth/marshall I always say ‘ref assessor’ because it is quicker and they clearly understand what I’m there for.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Referee Coach in my neck of the woods.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Another week with a "society ref" playing GLD and 50:22 at u15 (playing u14 variations), sigh

He quipped before the game that he had not referreed a kids game for over 2 years...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Another week with a "society ref" playing GLD and 50:22 at u15 (playing u14 variations), sigh

He quipped before the game that he had not referreed a kids game for over 2 years...

its hard for society refs to know every variation for every age group - it's always worth running through quickly before the game..

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
its hard for society refs to know every variation for every age group - it's always worth running through quickly before the game..

It is particularly useful for Coaches as well. As long as we all agree there can be no complaints afterwards.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It is particularly useful for Coaches as well. As long as we all agree there can be no complaints afterwards.
Never start the conversation with 'are you familiar with the variations at our age group' -- even if they aren't sure, it's very hard for a ref to admit, 'no'. And some will be sure (but wrong!)

when i was managing a youth team (and starting my reffing journey), my routine with arriving society refs was always to meet them early, make them welcome, and then say 'can I run through a couple of league regulations with you?'

(this is much better than offering to run through the Laws, no one wants to be thought ignorant of the laws, but no one minds not knowing the regs).

Then I would run through the important law variations - starting with the ones that refs often got wrong.

This would normally be a very quick and useful conversation!

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

This is certainly the best approach when an option... some refs have been great and taken this approach, some see it as being told the laws or being told how to ref and will not entertain the discussion. As we all know, there are good refs and bad refs out there... the previous Society ref we had was boasting how he had refereed at national league level and there was nothing I could tell him that he didn't already know, however, it was clear he did not know u14 variations.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Never start the conversation with 'are you familiar with the variations at our age group' -- even if they aren't sure, it's very hard for a ref to admit, 'no'. And some will be sure (but wrong!)

when i was managing a youth team (and starting my reffing journey), my routine with arriving society refs was always to meet them early, make them welcome, and then say 'can I run through a couple of league regulations with you?'

(this is much better than offering to run through the Laws, no one wants to be thought ignorant of the laws, but no one minds not knowing the regs).

Then I would run through the important law variations - starting with the ones that refs often got wrong.

This would normally be a very quick and useful conversation!
Appreciate the advice here :hap:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If you are not beaten to it by the referee - I like to know that the players have been coached to the same regulations that I will be refereeing. Including getting the ball size correct. OK, that's mainly at schools not clubs.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

the only thing I would add is to include the opposition coach/manager in this conversation so that everyone is on the same page.