This is a weird-ass try!!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
OK guys and gals... pick the bones out of this one!

My immediate question here is, if it had hit the Zambuck, is it still play-on?

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Interesting. I think this one's been around for a few years. I would have brought it back ... red scrum where the ball hit the injured player.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Good reason for always ensuring injured players and staff are off the pitch before re-starting play.

For me this is a scrum where it hit the player as he is not part of play and the ball hitting him has given the other team an advantage.
Blue/Red scrum.

I have no idea what a Zambuck is :unsure:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i think you have to apologise (as ref shouldn't have restarted play) and give a scrum where it hit the injured player.

also -- those people having a picnic on the wrong side of the rope ! They need to be moved back behind the rope.

it all looks a bit sloppy.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I agree, the referee should have waited until the player leaves the field, but just being the devil's advocate for a moment, how is this any different to play carrying on while a player upfield is receiving treatment, and despite being technically offside, he suddenly gets to his feet and rejoins play and assists a try being scored, or scores one himself. We have seen this in top level rugby, and it was "play on"

PhilE... a Zambuck is someone who treats players on a sports field, mostly in Aussie and NZ. The term derives from "Zam-Buck" cream (a medical pain relief cream similar to "Deep Heat") which was made by Zam-Buk Company of Leeds.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I agree, the referee should have waited until the player leaves the field, but just being the devil's advocate for a moment, how is this any different to play carrying on while a player upfield is receiving treatment, and despite being technically offside, he suddenly gets to his feet and rejoins play and assists a try being scored, or scores one himself. We have seen this in top level rugby, and it was "play on"
I suppose the difference is in this case the ball hits a non player rahter than a player who has been down for treatment. On the first scenario this person shouldn’t be on the pitch so treat like any other external interference. In the second there is no external interference - penalise or not as you see fit.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
taking it further ... what would we do if the ball took an odd bounce because it hit a
a) dog?
b) raised bit of turf?

Is there a difference between (a) and (b)?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Good reason for always ensuring injured players and staff are off the pitch before re-starting play.
you would only restart play if you had stopped it. Quite common for an injury to be treated with no stoppage.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
taking it further ... what would we do if the ball took an odd bounce because it hit a
a) dog?
b) raised bit of turf?

Is there a difference between (a) and (b)?
a) Stop - not part of the playing enclosure
b) play on - plenty of rubbish grounds out there. Didn't the old Warringah ground have a car that used to pop through occasionally after heavy rain as the ground was an old dump?