Thoughts on refs so far

Aphrodite007

Referees in England
Post Likes
Having seen nearly all of the games now, I think some are breaking away from the pack. Would probably group them as:

Owens/ Rolland/ Poite (all been excellent so far)

Barnes/Pearson/Kaplan/Joubert (very good and generally competent with no 'howlers' but one or two mistakes. Barnes in particular will improve I'm sure)

Walsh/ Clancy/ Lawrence (looked under par- would be surprised if they got a knockout appointment)

I think that the QF and SF appointments will come from the top two groups- time will tell though!

Any comments?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Nearly, I think Dave Pearson has had a great RWC so far, Barnes was good in both but wrongly heckled because of the claims of the penalty going over (Which it didn't).

Nothing much has been said about Joubert, which to me means he must be having an outstanding tournament because there has been not a jot said about him (Best games don't mention the ref).

I agree Poite & Owens are having outstanding RWC's.

I'd like nothing more than to see Bryce have a great game in the Fiji Samoa game today, it's half time and to be fair, he's been ok.

Aphrodite007

Referees in England
Post Likes
Pearson has been good, his rapport with the players is excellent but then again we haven't seen him in any challenging games/situations thus far. If he does well then he might slot in instead of Barnes, who was a bit ropey in SCO-ARG today.

I suspect the referees used in the middle for the knockout games will be Owens, Rolland, Lawrence (although I don't think he deserves it), Kaplan, Joubert, Barnes and Poite. Appointments are being released on Monday.

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's often hard to judge because there haven't been all that many challenging games so far. Lawrence and Clancy have IMO been below par in their matches (and Lawrence has had 2 close ones, and IMO ballsed-up twice). Rolland did very well overall in Fr-NZ. Owens and Poite have been outstanding but not severely tested yet. Wasn't such a fan of Kaplan. Joubert had a cracking match in Fr-Can. Walsh has been Walsh.

I really, really don't want to see Lawrence or Clancy get a knock-out appointment. They are comfortably the two less good refs at the tournament. It is hard to predict who will get the final as any team with refs here could end up in it. Suspect it will be one of Kaplan or Owens (presuming not SA-Wales). Would rather Rolland, Joubert or Poite TBH.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Joubert is probably the best referee in the world at the moment I would say.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
It must be me but I've not been impressed by Poite at all. I thought he was awful in the England game the other night.

Jouba all the way for me at the moment.

Andy Evans

Referees in England
Post Likes
It'll be a Southern Hemisphere "stitch up" along the lines of the 1st world cup coincidentally held in NZ!! Then Norling was sent home early (as were others such as RQ) leaving the refereeing in the hands of some lesser-known (to the NH at least) Aussies & Kiwis. This time round, anticipate howls when Walsh, Joubert & Kaplan are preferred to Rolland, Poite & Barnes - particularly if Walsh referees the All Blacks!!

It would be excellent if the appointments are made so that, much like RL Super League, the in-form referees do end up refereeing the same teams more than once in the KO stages. I suspect the players (& coaches) would appreciate consistency of interpretation which that approach brings. Ditto the appointments for TJs & TMOs.

I still believe that the original 40 appointments for the 10 referees could have been made so that no referee ended up refereeing the same team more than once.

Aphrodite007

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think Wayne Barnes has been given a rough deal with the appointments so far, he referees the same team twice, referees two nations which share a border with his own and has refereed two game which is in the same pool as in his own nation. I know they don't have many refs but there must be ways of avoiding situations like this.

Aphrodite007

Referees in England
Post Likes
Clancy is out the running for the knockout games now I think (or he should be at least!)- am still sticking with my original groups, although maybe I was a bit harsh on Joubert.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Not impressed with Rolland, put Joubert in his place and I'd tend to agree with your other listings Aphrodite007.

Aphrodite007

Referees in England
Post Likes
Swap Owens with Joubert now maybe- still think Owens might get a QF though, but I reckon Joubert is giving himself a good shout of the final, SA performance permitting.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
1 bad game out of 4? Owens be ok.

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Having watched most match's live and caught others via sky+ and for me Joubert has been stand out No1 after that raft who have been pretty good only B.L. and G.C not quite on a par with others.
7 big match's and 1 that no wants to play in can't really guess yet for final till QF's are done and see what team's are left if France are as bad again even England will beat them so maybe R.P. for Final??
My guess for semi's England South Africa New Zealand Wales so if they want to give the ref plenty time to prepare then not alot of choice left or they wait till after semi if they don't want A.R. R.P. and can't see S.W. being allowed to ref if N.Z. still in.

WinterMute

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I disagree, Lawrence is easily the best referee I have seen this year, but not that Bryce one, the other one who was left out of RWC. He must have tweeted something bad about POB :hap:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sorry, I can't rate NO or Poite as great.

NO was above average by not great in the Boks v Samoa match, and Poite was below par in NZ v Canada. (How on earth did he miss that crooked NFL type throw over the line-out?)

The only way I think that Joubert or Rolland won't get the final is if its South Africa v Ireland.