Throwing from behind the AR/TJ

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
As per the Calcutta game at the weekend...

333.jpg

I've seen a few low key chats about this quickly taken lineout (not a QTI) especially wrt the thrower throwing in behind the AR who is still standiing on the line.

Personally I cant think of anything that would stop blue 2 throwing in standing behind the AR who hasnt yet moved - and at least we know blue 2's feet are behind the line now ;-)

However maybe m'learned friends here DO know of any reason why not.

And is there any reason why the AR has to stay on the line until "some time" - and what is then the trigger to move away from the line.

This was clearly a pre planned move by Scotland - blue 2 had remained in the back field as England made to clear to touch so he was close to the ball (he was handed a ball by a ball boy which is why the QTI wasn't on, and why he waited for two whites to enter the lineout (Itoje and Genge can be seen at the front and rear in the above shot.)

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
No reason I can think of why it wouldn't be allowed other than if the referee had asked the AR to hold the throw for some reason in which case the referee can just whistle and set up again.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Helps when the AR is Nic Berry ?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7