[Law] Time and Law 5

andyr8603

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Need to ask this just to check I'm not going mad. Game yesterday where I had awarded a penalty to White. Looked at watch and it's showing 40 mins 35 seconds of second half. 10 asks 'Time for a line-out?', I say 'no'. Touch judge, who also happens to be an advisor and society committe member says after the game that I got it wrong and that I must now allow the Line-Out. I have checked as far as I am able and all I can find is reference to a Closed Law Trial that is only being applied in the Welsh Principality Cup and also in an NZ competition, that allows for the line-out to be taken after time has expired. My game was firmly in England and indeed an English competetion, so am I right to not allow a line-out if the penalty is kicked to touch?

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
All seems correct to me , judging by what you described ..
Game is over & line out can not go ahead .

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The trial is now over. (the 6 point try was also part of the trial) We were told the 6 point try is no more but nothing said about the lineout issue. The clubs have not been told. Nothing unusual there.

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Your adviser is wrong. The line-out from a penalty after time expires is an ELV from the closed trial, and has not been adopted as a full law.

Thunderhorse1986

Referees in England
Post Likes
I seem to remember something about "time is taken when the boot hits the ball" or similar. Was this only for the trial? Because I remember seeing some changes in Super Rugby this year which are not trials but are universal, regarding timing. Can I check on the technicalities...

Scenario 1: Whistle blown for penalty at 39.45. Kicker's boot strikes the ball at 39.59. Ball goes out of play at 40.01. Line out happens.
Scenario 2: Whistle blown at 39.45. Kicker doesn't strike ball until after 40.00. Ball goes out of play at 40.05 Line out doesn't happen.
Scenario 3: Whistle blown at 40.05. Line out doesn't happen.

Scenario 2 is the question mark...Obviously we would manage this at lower levels where only ref keeps time, but just want to be clear on the actual law.

- - - Updated - - -

5.7.e
If time expires and the ball is not dead, or an awarded scrum or lineout has not been completed, the referee allows play to continue until the next time that the ball becomes dead. The ball becomes dead when the referee would have awarded a scrum, lineout, an option to the non-infringing team, drop out or after a conversion or successful penalty kick at goal. If a scrum has to be reset, the scrum has not been completed. If time expires and a mark, free kick or penalty kick is then awarded, the referee allows play to continue.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
You're right, he's mistaken.

IF your watch was at (say) 39:43 and the #10 asked if there was time and you saw there was, it no longer matters that the ball is in flight for more than 17 seconds. :eek:)

However, you had time expired and so there was NO TIME for the line out (or any other type of restart come to that)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
IF your watch was at (say) 39:43 and the #10 asked if there was time and you saw there was,[...]
Just tell him how long is left. It is his job to decide if that is enough time. If you say there is enough, he will then think he is entitled to rely on your assurance, and by being extra careful may take too long. What would you do then? Don't put yourself in that position.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Just tell him how long is left. It is his job to decide if that is enough time. If you say there is enough, he will then think he is entitled to rely on your assurance, and by being extra careful may take too long. What would you do then? Don't put yourself in that position.

By just answering the query with a "Yes, if you'e quick" :)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
By just answering the query with a "Yes, if you'e quick" :)
I recognise the quotation only too well. The initial answer had been correct: "10 seconds". Unfortunately the player was not content with that, which illustrates the problem very well.