Time flies...

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It's 25 years ago yesterday since I played my last game of "proper" Rugby. I broke my thumb and hurt my back in the first tackle of the game and came off vowing never to play again. I didn't (sort of). I was 35. Ironically my club went into a tailspin thereafter and we dropped from L6/L7 to the bottom of the Yorkshire Leagues to recover to L9 today but have never recovered to the dizzy height between 87 and 98 when were were at L6/7. We started off in 1987 in the same League as Rotherham & Wharfedale and higher than Doncaster.

I had two token run outs with may lads when thy were 17 just to say I'd done it. They're nearly 32 and 29 so it's 12 years since I last ran around "in anger".

I made a point of not going to watch when I finished as I knew I'd get drawn back in. I bided my time 'til the lads wanted to play and then I came back and that's when the refereeing started. At 42 I was too old to "make a go of it" but I'm at L6 at 60 and managing a bit of refereeing and NLMOT ARing.

That all sounded like some sort of obituary. Apologies.

I'm still reasonably fit and still enjoying the bit of the Rugby Universe I inhabit.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Similar scenario for me. Came home with my arm in a sling at 42 and 'er indoors said "is that it then?" "yep it really hurts" was my reply. (tuned out I'd only bruised my shoulder after xrays!)
3 weeks later reffed my first game.
Pretty much always operated at L7 though have done a number of L6 over the years and even a L5 2 years ago when the weather was so bad no other ref could make it to the ground!
Sneaked a few games in after my retirement to get over 200 1stXV games in for my club and manged to play for the King Penguins at York when 55 which was a great experience.
As LLP still reasonably fit and enjoying my rugby and social life in Cumbria at 63 🏉 🍻

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
My path was via junior rugby .. the dad-who-refs.
In my son's age group there were about 5 dads who wanted to coach, and no one who wanted to ref, so ....

So I was a very late starter into the society : I was 50 when I joined and this is my last season in my 50s, gulp

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I played until I was 66 (never at a high level) and gave up when my knees did. Just at that time the RFU introduced a scheme for fast tracking "experienced players" into refereeing - a former team mate was by then Chairman of the local referee society, so I joined. As a player I had always made sure I knew the laws and I ended up as a "safe pair of hands" at L7 with the occasional excursion to L6.

As an adviser -> assessor -> Match Observer or whatever it was called at the time I roamed the touch line to get the best view of play, but eventually, with two replacement knees, I reluctantly had to stop.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I played until I was 66 (never at a high level) and gave up when my knees did. Just at that time the RFU introduced a scheme for fast tracking "experienced players" into refereeing - a former team mate was by then Chairman of the local referee society, so I joined. As a player I had always made sure I knew the laws and I ended up as a "safe pair of hands" at L7 with the occasional excursion to L6.

As an adviser -> assessor -> Match Observer or whatever it was called at the time I roamed the touch line to get the best view of play, but eventually, with two replacement knees, I reluctantly had to stop.
played until 66 then started reffing??? Wow ... impressive

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My mistake - I refereed a few games when my club didn't have a ref appointed, but I was fast tracked into assessing rather than regular refereeing. (Much less impressive!)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Started refereeing in 94 when my doctor advised that the next concussion would be "really pretty serious" (my, how we laughed last March!)

Back then, it was grab a law book, and best of luck.

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I am technically still available for selection at my club (only a mere 42) but I think I'm hanging those boots up for definite at the end of the season. (I say that every year)

First match I reffed was my own club's A XV when the society didn't have anyone to appoint. I was out shopping with the misses at the time when I got the call. Bought a refs kit from Sports Direct which had a watch, whistle and some cards. I wasn't even sure if I was even allowed to referee but it turned out that the Society's appointments guy and highly regarded coaches was at my club helping a young referee. He gave me the all clear so I jumped into my car and drove to the fixture (it was an away game). It went well. I did one more for my own club which was a different bag (lots of back chat etc where I almost lost my rag). Didn't put me off it though.

At the end of that season or may have been the next I signed up for the RFU Refs course and joined the society who welcomed me with open arms. Real good bunch. Loving it. Having a great time visiting clubs I hadn't been to for a very long time. Set my sights on reaching Level 8 and then I'll asses where I go from there. As a FR player, sometimes, mobility can be an issue

dickell

Post Likes
I am technically still available for selection at my club (only a mere 42) but I think I'm hanging those boots up for definite at the end of the season. (I say that every year)

First match I reffed was my own club's A XV when the society didn't have anyone to appoint. I was out shopping with the misses at the time when I got the call. Bought a refs kit from Sports Direct which had a watch, whistle and some cards. I wasn't even sure if I was even allowed to referee but it turned out that the Society's appointments guy and highly regarded coaches was at my club helping a young referee. He gave me the all clear so I jumped into my car and drove to the fixture (it was an away game). It went well. I did one more for my own club which was a different bag (lots of back chat etc where I almost lost my rag). Didn't put me off it though.

At the end of that season or may have been the next I signed up for the RFU Refs course and joined the society who welcomed me with open arms. Real good bunch. Loving it. Having a great time visiting clubs I hadn't been to for a very long time. Set my sights on reaching Level 8 and then I'll asses where I go from there. As a FR player, sometimes, mobility can be an issue
Doc P, as an FRer you are worth your weight in gold. Keep going!

dickell

Post Likes
As a former fullback I was clueless about the front row, but feedback in the bar told me that I got a few right! Ditto when I penalised a Quins team for a deliberate knock-on at a lineout close to their opponents' line. Their profound silence told me I'd got it right.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
As a former fullback I was clueless about the front row, but feedback in the bar told me that I got a few right! Ditto when I penalised a Quins team for a deliberate knock-on at a lineout close to their opponents' line. Their profound silence told me I'd got it right.
It was shock that somone had the temerity to penalize Quins.